Adder Report - UK BAP?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello. I'm doing a species report on the legislation and population dynamics of Vipera berus. I need to discuss some conservation strategies and need to include as much information as possible, however I'm finding conflicting information. I need to write about the adder's inclusion into the UK BAP priority species list. I know that it wasn't an original UK BAP species, but I've found from multiple sources that it was included in the UK BAP, but at different dates. I'm not entirely sure whether it was included in 2007 or if it was included in 2011, when UK BAPs were no longer relevant (replaced by the post-2010 framework). I've tried looking on the original BAP website, but of course that was shut down. I tried looking into the JNCC website for the BAP archives however there seems to be a problem with that. I just need more information on the adder as a UK BAP species, whether it was listed in 2007, or 2011, or both. All I can seem to find is a few words mentioning that it was a BAP species, but nothing else. I especially need information on how this applies to and protects the adder specifically.

I would also be very grateful if anyone could provide me with information on the adder populations in Dorset/Hampshire. I can't seem to find much local info despite many hours of searching. This might of course be due to its reclusive nature.

Thank you.

Edit:
http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/_speciespages/2695.pdf This document would seem to suggest that the adder was listed in the UK BAP in 2007. I haven't been able to find any info on the possible 2011 listing.

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
It's fairly conclusive that it's a 2007 UK BAP species, but I can't seem to find any surviving information for the adder's being accorded a UK BAP in 2011. Numerous simply claim that it was listed in April 2011, but there's no document with further detail to be found as of yet.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I may just be ignorant? But can you say for those that don't know like me. What is
B.A.P. Thanks for any reply. Ol Smokey.

Jackdaw

Adders are provided protection by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Specifically they are not a "fully protected" species but are protected from killing, injury or sale. This allows a local planning authority (LPA) to insist on reptile surveys in areas where there are known populations of adder or areas adjacent to such areas. The survey will either confirm their presence or their likely absence. If present then some form of avoidance/mitigation/compensation scheme will be required. If absent, and unless there is some local scheme to protect habitat that could be suitable for adders and the area contained within the planning application is of such quality, then nothing further is likely to happen to stop a planning application.

If a species is included on the UK BAP or a local/county one and it is present/likely to present on a site (i.e. suitable habitat for the species) then it is likely to be taken into consideration by an LPA who will require a survey to be undertaken by an appropriately qualified ecologist who carries it out using recognised best practice or who can justify why they didn't follow best practice. If a species is present then an avoidance/mitigation/compensation scheme will be required as already discussed.

The principle protection comes from the adder being included on the WCA not UK BAP. As a final note, there is no licence available to carry out an unlawful act in relation to adders. You kill one then you are likely to be fined. The only defence you have is if you have undertaken a survey (as discussed) and carried out an appropriate avoidance/mitigation/compensation scheme and it still resulted in a dead adder. Then you go to court with your hands up and tell them you followed best practice and it still happened.

Pretty certain they were listed on the UK BAP in 2007. They are also listed as a species of "principal importance for the purpose of conserving biodiversity" under the NERC Act 2006 which bolsters its protection under the planning regime by making local authorities give it consideration in their planning decisions.

Hope that helps.

Details on legislation (including UK BAP 2007 date) can be found here: http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/_speciespages/2695.pdf

Jack

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Adders are provided protection by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Specifically they are not a "fully protected" species but are protected from killing, injury or sale. This allows a local planning authority (LPA) to insist on reptile surveys in areas where there are known populations of adder or areas adjacent to such areas. The survey will either confirm their presence or their likely absence. If present then some form of avoidance/mitigation/compensation scheme will be required. If absent, and unless there is some local scheme to protect habitat that could be suitable for adders and the area contained within the planning application is of such quality, then nothing further is likely to happen to stop a planning application.

If a species is included on the UK BAP or a local/county one and it is present/likely to present on a site (i.e. suitable habitat for the species) then it is likely to be taken into consideration by an LPA who will require a survey to be undertaken by an appropriately qualified ecologist who carries it out using recognised best practice or who can justify why they didn't follow best practice. If a species is present then an avoidance/mitigation/compensation scheme will be required as already discussed.

The principle protection comes from the adder being included on the WCA not UK BAP. As a final note, there is no licence available to carry out an unlawful act in relation to adders. You kill one then you are likely to be fined. The only defence you have is if you have undertaken a survey (as discussed) and carried out an appropriate avoidance/mitigation/compensation scheme and it still resulted in a dead adder. Then you go to court with your hands up and tell them you followed best practice and it still happened.

Pretty certain they were listed on the UK BAP in 2007. They are also listed as a species of "principal importance for the purpose of conserving biodiversity" under the NERC Act 2006 which bolsters its protection under the planning regime by making local authorities give it consideration in their planning decisions.

Hope that helps.

Details on legislation (including UK BAP 2007 date) can be found here: http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/_speciespages/2695.pdf

Jack
Thanks, Jack. I have most of this info already, concerning the Bern Convention international level legislation, NERC 2006, WAC 1981, and so forth. I've also written about UK BAP 2007. I just can't seem to find any further information on their inclusion into UK BAP 2011, which I seem to be reading everywhere.

Edit: Great website by the way.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
All very complicated, but interesting. I think I will stick. With the translation that it is something you have for breakfast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE