Adaptions To Storm Kettles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Well I had a brain fart a while back and it has actually come good ;) Taken me ages to sort it all out (not wanting to spend money on it! )
It started when on a sea kayaking trip I realised that I was lugging too much kit with me and wanted to reduce it, next was when my penny stove needed some wind protection...add a windshield in the kit, thought I... yet more kit:(
So I had the aforementioned episode and came up with not one but two solutions, sheesh I must have had some oats that day!:D

Storm%252520Kettle%252520mods%2525203.jpg

Two strips of waste ali sheet to locate over the Storm Kettle that goes on every trip, the kettle fire base acts as a windshield.

Storm%252520Kettle%252520mods%2525206.jpg

Next was when our cooker broke down and I took the grill off the back fan and came up with something that would allow bigger meths burners like the trangia, by bending down the wire loops that allowed it to be screwed to the cooker.

Storm%252520Kettle%252520mods%2525207.jpg

It will also accommodate another design of tin can burner if you make a lid for it.( seen left of pic)

The really good thing is they can handle most cooking pots/pans and pack away with the kettle with little extra weight.

Storm%252520Kettle%252520mods%2525202.jpg

Okay, the US army mess tin needed some added weight to balance ( other brands of tinned weights are available and prices may vary )
due to the handle length.
The Storm Kettle on the left is the F1 500ml anodised one and the right hand one is the prototype ali that now lives in my work van, like I said in another thread "I don't leave home without one" and these small additions make them even more useful.
Ta for looking in.

Rob.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Cheers guys, I hope it gives others some ideas to make more use of the kit on hand.
@ petrochemicals, not used it in cold weather yet but that is good advice for anyone using spirit burners.:)

Rob.

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
Brilliant ideas.
I have got a ghillie kettle ( same difference ) but it is the large one. 3 of us in the work van so we get through a lot of brews !
Anyway, I too have a pot stand like yours and we use a cast iron frying pan. Once it has warmed up it holds the heat really well and stays warm for ages.
In fact with a couple of lumps of charcoal you can easily warm a cast iron pot of stew for 3 people. It takes about an hour, but if you have a brew then set the stew on the time soon passes while working.
I will post some pictures when I can figure out how.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE