A Wright & sons Ltd copy of a woodlore! any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Just hope it isn't made of the same quick rusting, stain attracting steel as all my (otherwise very nice) A Wright folders!

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Yep,
01 does discolour and rust but the folder (not sure of the steel on that) does it rather quicker and easier than any other knife I've ever had!

fast celt

Forager
Aug 9, 2005
West Yorkshire
Being using the knife for the last 2 days in the damp and the wet and had no problems with rust or discolouring. I allways wipe the blade with a rag before putting it back in the sheath. :) :D

Joneszee

Nov 26, 2005
Swansea
I have also bought a Wright and Son 'Ray Mears' lookalike knife. I havent used it in anger yet but have played out the back yard making feather sticks and then lighting them. I noticed immediatedly the difference between my Mora and the lookalike knife. The extra weight seems to assist you when shaving finely, I dont know if it is true, or just my delight in the purchase. The sheath is a little loose and is of concearn but I have yeilded some advice from the forum to rectify this. A Sturt Marsh knife will fetch around £300.00 on ebay whilst a Mick Spain can achieve almost the same with the Alan Wood genuine article reaching mid and hig £400's. This surely makes my £110.00 knife good value doesnt it?

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
What's the fit and finish like on these ?
The rest of the product line is the cheap and poorly finished Sheffield stuff that has been around for years.
It would need to be vastly different from the rest of their range to be worth that sort of money.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
01 dosnt really rust easilly compared to some of the more ''simple carbon steels''

at least in my experience

Ogri the trog said:
Guys,
I'm sure these are great knives and if you're happy with them, then there is no complaint. However, don't dissmiss the likes of www.greenpete.co.uk for homemade knives, and www.swc-handmade-knives.com for very good bespoke versions of the wood-lore.

ATB

Ogri the trog

I agree its under £5 for a bit of new steel which makes 2 knives and its not difficult to file one our by hand even if you buy all the files new thats maybe another £20 if you go mad on tools :D
handle material can easily be free theres loads about you can use just might not have pretty patterns etc :rolleyes:

Hardening is probably the difficult bit in most peoples mind and with simple carbon steel its not actually difficult (see green pete link above) and can be very satisfying.
And im sure if you cant or dont want to try theres a few guys on here who would do it for you for a beer or 6 :beerchug:

I want to try a Wood lore Style and scandi grind as its not a type ive ever used and in certainly not wasting £100 let alone £495 to find i dont like it ( now several other knife types have caught my eye as well :rolleyes: ) and the cheapest way is to make it your self.

I realy really like the SWC bushcraft knifes luckly the one wive duh pretty pictures is sold

atb

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE