A vegan friendly knife - stacked birch bark and hessian sheath.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

briar87

Aug 5, 2022
Kent
Great stuff.
Does anyone know if anywhere to buy vegan sheaths, made from leather like materials, either synthetic or from the more modern things like cactus leather etc?
I’m keen to get a sheath that looks like a traditional leather one, but vegan.
I have made a couple myself, but would be keen to know if anyone has any knowledge of anyone selling them, or of course if any makers would consider giving it a go?
Thanks.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Great stuff.
Does anyone know if anywhere to buy vegan sheaths, made from leather like materials, either synthetic or from the more modern things like cactus leather etc?
I’m keen to get a sheath that looks like a traditional leather one, but vegan.
I have made a couple myself, but would be keen to know if anyone has any knowledge of anyone selling them, or of course if any makers would consider giving it a go?
Thanks.
What did you make them from? If you can source the materials then a traditional maker may be able to make a sheaf for you.

briar87

Aug 5, 2022
Kent
What did you make them from? If you can source the materials then a traditional maker may be able to make a sheaf for you.
Hi. I actually came across some pvc type faux leather a number of years back, before becoming vegan actually. I just held on to it, then recently decided to make a sheath with it. The main issue is it’s thickness. It’s only about 1mm thick, so having to laminate it before pattern cutting is a pain. Even then, when all closed up, the edges are hard to get nice, due to the thinness of each piece, and the fact that there are lots of pieces coming together.
Not ideal.
I have some 2mm stuff on order, so will give that a go, and see what happens.
If it arrives and looks nice, then yeah, I may speak to a maker about supplying my own sheath material.
Great idea.
Many thanks.

Reactions: nigelp

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have a similar view on vegan "leather" as I do to vegan "bacon" or "cheese". There are certain properties that are inherent (and desirable) to certain materials, if you do not approve of where that material comes from, choose another of the established and proven options. Trying to approximate or fake the material through modern petro-chemical means is the very epitome of wanting to have ones cake and eat it.

Leather can be cut, carved, sanded, skived, folded, molded, dyed, hardened, polished, stamped, stitched, glued, and riveted. It can have cut resistance, self supporting stiffness, bulk, flexibility at all temperatures, as well as being a traditional material if that is your thing. PVC "leather" has almost none of those characteristics.

I dare say one could do something similar to a fold over sheath with thick rubber, something over 3mm thick, but then it would be rubber, not pretend leather. It will never look like a good leather sheath, so there is no point in trying, just work to make the best synthetic sheath possible.

I myself have made quite a lot of Kydex sheaths, and even a couple of big ones from polycarbonate and ABS. I have one parang sheath in wood, tied with packing strap in the Penan manner. I bet a nice pouch sheath could be made of wood with a very thin closed cell foam insert at the top to give some grip to the handle.

If you are fixed on using fake leather, I would strongly recommend using a liner so the blade cannot cut its way past an inadequate welt.

Chris

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I have a similar view on vegan "leather" as I do to vegan "bacon" or "cheese". There are certain properties that are inherent (and desirable) to certain materials, if you do not approve of where that material comes from, choose another of the established and proven options. Trying to approximate or fake the material through modern petro-chemical means is the very epitome of wanting to have ones cake and eat it.

Leather can be cut, carved, sanded, skived, folded, molded, dyed, hardened, polished, stamped, stitched, glued, and riveted. It can have cut resistance, self supporting stiffness, bulk, flexibility at all temperatures, as well as being a traditional material if that is your thing. PVC "leather" has almost none of those characteristics.

I dare say one could do something similar to a fold over sheath with thick rubber, something over 3mm thick, but then it would be rubber, not pretend leather. It will never look like a good leather sheath, so there is no point in trying, just work to make the best synthetic sheath possible.

I myself have made quite a lot of Kydex sheaths, and even a couple of big ones from polycarbonate and ABS. I have one parang sheath in wood, tied with packing strap in the Penan manner. I bet a nice pouch sheath could be made of wood with a very thin closed cell foam insert at the top to give some grip to the handle.

If you are fixed on using fake leather, I would strongly recommend using a liner so the blade cannot cut its way past an inadequate welt.

Chris
All very good points.

Birch bark was traditionally used for making sheaths and has many of the properties needed to do the job well - and is vegan-friendly. There are loads of examples online, from simple fold-over ones to elaborately woven ones.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have a....sheath-like object :rolleyes: ... made of birch bark when I was visiting Norway. The bark of those northern trees was much thicker and leather like than what I see in England.

Reactions: Toddy

briar87

Aug 5, 2022
Kent
Just thought to put a couple of photos of my vegan leather sheaths up here, as I had mentioned them previously.
I think they are as close as anyone can get to a leather one, both aesthetically and practically, while not using any animal products at all.
Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 91B22724-33BA-4380-A11F-085CF77C4347.jpeg
    91B22724-33BA-4380-A11F-085CF77C4347.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 9A87CF99-4222-4B28-A971-8B8A6EFFEC77.jpeg
    9A87CF99-4222-4B28-A971-8B8A6EFFEC77.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 8A7E9277-75DB-479B-993B-3453384CA154.jpeg
    8A7E9277-75DB-479B-993B-3453384CA154.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 4587B7B2-52B6-46C9-9B18-AFF8490050D3.jpeg
    4587B7B2-52B6-46C9-9B18-AFF8490050D3.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 6964DE59-7077-4394-A090-B1D0932F74A9.jpeg
    6964DE59-7077-4394-A090-B1D0932F74A9.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 13
  • F14BE458-2B60-430A-9E20-2B9C6D4BF7F4.jpeg
    F14BE458-2B60-430A-9E20-2B9C6D4BF7F4.jpeg
    311.8 KB · Views: 13

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Veganism is based on non violence to other animals and or arguments for a healthier diet with less adverse global impact.
The conundrum is alternatives may also pose dangers to Gaia as a global entity and take you down a rabbit hole neither Watership Down or Alice warn of.
Wood or woven bark, cardboard moulded and sealed are just a few options.
1960 our Chrysler threw a fan belt on the Hemi V 8. Apache cowboy rode up, cut and wove a cactus frond replacement. We drove 30 miles to the next service station .
Mechanic struggled to cut the belt off! He said we could have made it home no problem.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just thought to put a couple of photos of my vegan leather sheaths up here, as I had mentioned them previously.
I think they are as close as anyone can get to a leather one, both aesthetically and practically, while not using any animal products at all.
Let me know what you think.
Interesting, they do look good.

What is it you made them from and where did you get it from?

briar87

Aug 5, 2022
Kent
Interesting, they do look good.

What is it you made them from and where did you get it from?
Thanks. I’m glad you think they look good.
They’re made from a vinyl material, that I buy from etsy, called elephant leather. it’s 2mm thickness so I laminate it. A lot of work I know, and yes, it’s not the best material in the world and nor does it have exactly the same qualities as leather, but for me, it works and I enjoy both making and using them, without the use of animal materials.
They are really effective at what they’re made to do, and what I want them to do, protect the knife and me, while looking not dissimilar to the leather ones that come with Woodlore knives.
Thanks.
✌️

Reactions: nigelp

McCallem

Oct 12, 2022
United States
Thanks. I’m glad you think they look good.
They’re made from a vinyl material, that I buy from etsy, called elephant leather. it’s 2mm thickness so I laminate it. A lot of work I know, and yes, it’s not the best material in the world and nor does it have exactly the same qualities as leather, but for me, it works and I enjoy both making and using them, without the use of animal materials.
They are really effective at what they’re made to do, and what I want them to do, protect the knife and me, while looking not dissimilar to the leather ones that come with Woodlore knives.
Thanks.

✌️
though not pure leather bt as @Mesquite said they are really awesome

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE