A touch of elegance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Got this in the mail recently from Lee Reeves. I already have one with an ash handle and from experience I can tell you it's a dandy using tool. Don't let the graceful lines fool ya. Lee used osage orange to handle this one.

reeves1b.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
It's a handmade from the ground up by Lee Reeves. Not sure I'm going to use this one or not, as I already have one with an ash handle that I've used quite a bit. I'd say it's easily comparable to the GB mini as a chopper. Here are some shots I took of cuts I made into the edge of a 2x4. I used the Lee Reeve belt axe, the GB mini, and a reprofiled Vaughn mini hatchet. Basically I just swung as hard as I could into the edge of a 2x4. I think Lee's hatchet did pretty darn good. I know it does great in the woods and it will be featured in an article in TK magazine, prolly in September.

pocketaxetest1b.jpg

pocketaxetest2b.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
steve a said:
Oooo that looks sweet Hoodoo, is it to be a user, how does the handle feel in the hand, it looks as it is a bit thicker than I am used to.

The contoured handle is incredibly comfortable to use. The swell right where you normally grab it gives you plenty of broad cushion to absorb shock while chopping. This is not something you find in an off the rack hatchet. :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hellz said:
Very nice indeed. Without meaning to sound crass... erm, expensive? :wink:

Hellz

Not cheap at $145. But perhaps for what you get, a hand forged head and sculpted handle, it comes out pretty cheap in comparison to a similarly made knife. I think someone mentioned once that Lee's Shop and his axes were once featured on French television. Functional art!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
That's one sexy axe! I really like his nessmuk style axe too :biggthump . We need a drool smilie for the edged tools forum!

Mar 7, 2004
Hoodoo knows this.

I don't use axes, make me nervous, however I've always thought that is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen made by a smith.

Web

Mar 7, 2004
Sargey

I've been trying to NOT buy one for 4 years. I have two axes I don't use and I wouldn't use this one either.
418c8120.jpg

Still isn't is lovely!

Web

Attachments

• 418c8120.jpg
    418c8120.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 50

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE