a spoon and kuksa carving course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Last week we had a very enjoyable developers spooncarving course which turned into more of a kuksa carving course. After the first 2 days covering the basics of spoon design and carving spoons from crooks or bent pieces of wood to get a strong but light spoon I always offer a range of projects for the last day. Everyone chose to make a kuksa, that is the little drinking cups from the sami culture of northern Scandinavia. Here we are getting started.

P1010090.jpg

And here are some of the things people made. What makes these courses so much fun is the enthusiasm everyone seems to have and it really is just very pleasant spending time whittling along with a group of nice people that are enjoying making things with their hands.

P1010105.jpg

P1010106.jpg

P1010111.jpg

As with all our courses I try to do as little hands on myself as possible, it is more important to me that people feel empowered to make things themselves when they get home than having a few perfect things to take home but not the skills to repeat it.

More pics on my blog here http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I think woodwork should be allowed indoors. Try starting by doing the rough axe work and heavy knife work outside then the finer knife work inside. Spread a rug, pinny or blanket over out and it will catch the bulk of your chips, if you are hollowing with a hook knife or doing fine carving work they don't fly far then at the end just roll your blanket up and shake it out outside. When I have finished I have a quick whisk round with the hoover, the room gets hoovered far more often when we are carving than when we are not.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
... just roll your blanket up and shake it out outside...
...into your tinder bin.

I've still to get through my accumulation of not-spoon, not-staff, not-sword, etc.; so tinder is seldom a problem for when there's no-one to see me light a bonfire with wood shavings instead of feather sticks.

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
Awesome :) I want to make a spoon. I have just bought an opinel number 8 knife and one of those spoon carving knifes. I can't afford an axe at the moment so I hope a saw will suffice in the mean time???

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Awesome :) I want to make a spoon. I have just bought an opinel number 8 knife and one of those spoon carving knifes. I can't afford an axe at the moment so I hope a saw will suffice in the mean time???

I attended one of robins courses last year and we were given a frosts 106 to use - cheap as chips and a pleasure to use. I don't think I'd be as happy using a folding knife like a opinel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE