A short bimble along my local river

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Today I took my youngest lad out for a short wander along our local river. Nothing fancy, but we managed to see a few bits and pieces.

I've been meaning to get a shot of some Plantain for my own flora and fauna album, this'll do.

greater_plantain.jpg

This land snail caught my eye, I don't recall seeing one like it before. A bit larger than my little fingernail, any ideas?

snail_unknown.jpg

When I looked at this image on the computer I started to think that it looks like it has a parasite leaving tracks in a similar way to the larva of the some beetles that live under bark.

I spotted some wild marjoram which is always cheery when in flower, and loved by the bees.

marjoram.jpg

We needed to cross over the river now, it looked like these Granny Bonnets had the same idea.

granny_bonnets-bridge.jpg

The bridge is the only place our Rotty ever looked scared. I must confess it does move a lot, the bits of plywood covering the holes do little for your confidence.

footbridge.jpg

Once it had stopped wobbling and my two year old stopped jumping up and down to make the bridge wobble more,l I managed to get quite a pleasing shot towards the railway bridge upstream.

rail_bridge.jpg

On the other side you walk along what was once a tow path. It's hard to image now, but certainly from Roman times (probably earlier to) until the coming of the railways this was an important artery for transport. No different from most rivers in the UK I guess, but hard to imagine the barges going to and from Malton along here.

A little further along we spotted a bright and cheery patch of Tansy.

tansy.jpg

Apparently Tansy has been used for millenia for keeping insects at bay. Possibly an alternate to Deet? Though I'd be very wary as it is very toxic.

Talking of toxic, this has to be up there in the top ten for UK toxic plants. Hemlock! Sorry the picture doesn't show it that well with all the other green foliage behind.

hemlock.jpg

This one does show the tell-tale purple blotches well.

hemlockstem_detail.jpg

We enjoyed a nice wander for a good way before Will decided food would be good. So a quick snack for him and we turned for home.

The last thing we spotted was this fella.

blood_sucker.jpg

I really should find out what it is. We always called them blood suckers as kids, though I don't recall anyone ever being bitten by one and assume they are completely harmless.

All in all, a very pleasant hour or so. I hope you enjoyed our little nature trail. Thank you for looking!

Al

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Nice pictures Al, its great to get out with the kids on a bimble. The soldier beetle i've always called them blood suckers too,heres a pic of mine. Common red soldier beetle Rhagonycha fulva.
Darren

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lovely walk :D Thank you for sharing :cool:
The Tansy in my garden is just starting to bloom now, and it is a cheery sight. Lots of contraindications nowadays, but an excellent vermifuge of the past. I get a really good dye from it.

Nicely shown on the Hemlock :approve: it's often quietly hidden away, just like in your photo and only when one actually 'looks' at it, is it's identity apparant.

atb,
M

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
that snail looks like a variety of pond snail but why it was on land i do not know? was it near water?

It crossed my mind that it was an aquatic snail, it was about twenty feet from the river, but the other side of a dry dusty track. It's possible it was picked up and dropped by a bird of course. It remains a mystery to me.

@Mistwalker, you're welcome! I very much enjoy the photos of flora you post here. Always nice to see what other countries foliage looks like.

Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE