A sentimental old fool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
When I started getting into this lark again, I purloined a Mk.VII WW2 gas mask bag that my father had been using as a fishing bag. It's the same style as worn by Indiana Jones. It's pretty tatty and one of the poppers pulled through so I've sewed on a bit of leather to replace it. The strap is looking quite fragile and the stitching where the strap rings attach has seen better days. The body of the bag is actually in pretty good condition but it's a little small for the stuff I put in it and I've bought a new bag to replace it

However, I think it was the one issued to my grandfather during the war so I'm loath to get rid of it. Should I bung it in the loft/chuck it/burn it/sell it/give it away?

85FC1E59-0609-4467-8D2C-A84C29097263-41589-000020E2244D2C0A.jpg

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I'd keep it. My Grandad died recently and my mum found his old canvas RAF kit bag from his war days which she gave to me. I'll never use it but it just feels nice to have if that makes sense :)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I think I'd be inclined to re-vamp it, put a new strap on it, clean & patch it up to give it a new lease of life, then use it. It will link you back to your grand father.

Dave

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Just e-mailed my father to ask him and he replied remarkably quickly: "It was bought from an army surplus store"

How does that change your answer? :)

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I'd still keep it :)

In your case if I thought I could use it I'd do as Dave suggests and revamp it and think of him when I look at it. In my case, yeah, I'm just a sentimental old fool at times. I know I'm not going to use it but it is a link to him in my memories. It reminds me of the stories from the war he used to tell me as a kid and times we spent together and of a personal connection we shared at the end.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had a similar dilema when my uncles WW2 gasmask case got too ratty to repair any more.
I recycled the brass bits in other projects so now I am reminded of him in several pieces of kit :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE