A really nice cup of tea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Mmm, nice... But nothing beats the days some 10 years ago when you could buy NAAFI tea at the supermarket - I'm still pining for a decent cuppa...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Mmm, nice... But nothing beats the days some 10 years ago when you could buy NAAFI tea at the supermarket - I'm still pining for a decent cuppa...

Hi Tobes,
Have you tried Rington's? They make the Tea for NAAFI and though they only sell that to NAAFI they do say that this is the closest they make for the public market ( search around on ARRSE - Army Rumour SErvice ) and you should find a thread about it. Here's a link to the page with their traditional tea bags. http://www.ringtons.co.uk/shop/tea/teabags/classic-black/traditional-80-teabags.html

TTFN
Goatboy.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Not really bushcraft, but who else loves Lapsong Souchong tea, for it's smokey campfire taste?

It's the tea equivalent of Laphroig whisky!

Lapsang souchong: I like it, reminds me more of my hippy days than the campfire though. :) It does have a mixture of smoke and tar in the flavour, I think they dry it over a wood fire to give it its unique taste.

I lived in China but never came across it there even though it originated there (I guess I was in the wrong region), it was mostly varieties of oolong tea where I was.

Taiwan has it's own stronger blend of Lapsang souchong so I guess there are different qualities and blends it seems to be all the same here in the UK. Some tea is extremely expensive and I sat through many tea ceremonies but my palette isn't good enough to discern the subtle nuances of connoisseur teas. I'd rather have had a cappuccino :D :rolleyes:

When I was in Indonesia I developed a liking for weak jasmine tea as it was very popular there. I think it's from China originally but it doesn't seem to be quite as popular there.

saddler

Forager
Jun 16, 2009
Haddington, Scotland
Not really bushcraft, but who else loves Lapsong Souchong tea, for it's smokey campfire taste?

It's the tea equivalent of Laphroig whisky!

Aye, 'tis the best tea...

BUT, I saw a previous poster mention tea-BAGS!! Loose leaf is THE One-True way :)

Oh, for Tobes01.
The Imperial War Museum shop used to sell NAAFI tea, it may still do

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
a previous thread a while ago sang the praises of this tea, i got a box of the twinings stuff and hated it, not to all tastes, think its in the cupboard somewhere...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE