A Rain Forest In Need of Rain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
One of the really cool things about having jobs that take me to the woods is the lunch time hikes. The only bad part about it right now is that I live in a rain forest in need of rain...it's been days and days since we had any real rain.

The ferns are still around in the gullies, but a lot of the leaves are all droopy and a lot of them are turning colors and falling.

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

A Sassafras tree...and it's looking pretty dry too. Pretty large leaves...the blade on this knife is 5 inches.

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

The Blackberries are starting to look pretty dry too.

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

Even the Lichens and spiderwebs are dusty and dry.

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

Found a pine burl

IMG_1276.jpg

Everyone know what this is?

IMG_1283.jpg

It's more solid than it looks...

IMG_1284.jpg

If you said fatwood, pitch-wood, light-wood, lighter-pine or any of the other colloquial names for pitch heavy dead pine you're right.

IMG_1286.jpg

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
always enjoy your posts:)

what is that? one of the best fire starts going:cool: i have a secret supply in the woods, a big falled pine that is a solid lump of fatwood. i kid you not!:D

pete

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Great post. I've got a supply of fatwood stored at my local overnighters as well. Although one of them has run out.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Nice once again! Lovely part of the world that. Although if I was see all those ferns here, I'd be asking myself how many ticks I'd get if I wandered through them.. :)

always enjoy your posts:)

what is that? one of the best fire starts going:cool: i have a secret supply in the woods, a big falled pine that is a solid lump of fatwood. i kid you not!:D

pete

Thanks Pete, glad you enjoy the posts!

Yep, it's definitely my go-to fire starter here in my neck of the world :) I know where a huge Virginia Pine fell that is all fatwood too...enough to last me a life time, even if I were half my age.

Great post. I've got a supply of fatwood stored at my local overnighters as well. Although one of them has run out.

Thank you. Yep, I have it stashed all over....mostly just as I found it :)

Great post, where abouts is this?

Thank you.

South East Tennessee, US

Nice once again! Lovely part of the world that. Although if I was see all those ferns here, I'd be asking myself how many ticks I'd get if I wandered through them.. :)

Thank you Nag, glad you liked the post!

Yeah...well ticks are just a fact of life for me. My back yard looks pretty much just like this...

Great pics there chap, looks like your feeling the pinch with respects to rain aswell.

Thank you, glad you enjoyed them. Yes we have been, finally got a couple of hours of rain today...maybe the ground got a chance to soak a little of it in and hopefully we will get a little more tomorrow.

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the pictures!

Brian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE