A quickie to Lomond

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
More water, trees and mountain pics from a trip we did a few weeks ago, I forgot to put them up at the time.

I've lifted this content from my blog but it should hopefully work ...

February 11th 2011

I got a last minute pass out from Carol this weekend so a few messages to the usual culprits and a plan had been hatched. The forecast wasn't great so it was to be a local jaunt, well for them anyway, it's still a 500 mile round trip for me. I don't mind the drive northwards anymore though, I seem to have one eye on the canoe on the roof (especially in strong winds) and one eye on the scenery as I make my way through North Yorkshire, The Pennines, Cumbria, The Borders and then finally Glasgow. Once I reach Glasgow I know it's only a matter of minutes rather than hours until I'm on the water.

About five hours after I left Leeds I was parking up at Aldochlay and meeting Stephen who'd just arrived himself from Alloa. We had a wee blether and then set about unloading and loading the gear from the cars to the boats, we giggled as Stephen was finding it hard fitting all his usual gear into the small hatches on his new kayak. Shortly after Stu and Ciara arrived, gear loaded and doggy aboard fives minutes later and we were paddling off under heavy grey skies and persistent rain.

Entering the narrows
DSC02460P.jpg

Stephen in his new toy
DSC02462P.jpg

We arrived at a favourite beach and set about getting the chute up and sorted our digs for the weekend
DSC02468P.jpg

Stephen and myself were under the Superfly's
DSC02469P.jpg

Stu and Ciara's tent, I really do like the look of that Vaude
DSC02471P.jpg

We spent the rest of Friday evening under the chute and shared a couple of beers round the fire. We were all pretty bushed so retired early around nine o'clock. Ten hours later I woke up, I'm really getting some good nights sleep in the hammock these days, I'm not sure why I'm suddenly able to sleep right through compared to waking up every couple of hours like I did six months ago. Maybe it's the short days and long dark nights, maybe it's the early morning light that's bothering me in the warmer months ?

Saturday morning was clear and bright, although there were still the odd light shower now and then it was a beautiful winters day. I did my creeping around camp like a mouse routine again as I was first up as usual, surprisingly though Stephen was up not long after. We had a lazy morning round camp enjoying copious amounts of coffee followed by a fry up and then getting warmed up by the fire. It was a lovely still day and the sun was nice and bright so we decided to take a paddle round one of the large adjacent islands. I forgot to pick up my camera though so you'll have to imagine the scene as we circled round a ruined building on a peninsula and carved our way through the flooded trees and beaches.
When we got back to camp, between the showers we got a good pile of firewood sorted and generally relaxed around camp.

Another downpour
DSC02478P.jpg

Stephen and I went for a walk later on and made our way through the forest to the old house and then all the way round the eastern flank before making it back to camp again. It's funny as no matter how many times I go for an explore on that island I always find something new to look at.

Later back at camp we'd decided to make a start on the stew a bit earlier this time so Stephen prep'd all the veg and got it on the fire nice and early.
DSC02482P.jpg

DSC02491P.jpg

Stu was catching up with lost sleep and didn't surface until nearly four o'clock.
DSC02483P.jpg

The other lady in my life, Ciara
DSC02492P.jpg

Saturday afternoon was stunning and we were treated to some great views from the chute
DSC02489P.jpg

DSC02485P.jpg

DSC02488P.jpg

That evening we sat around the fire and tended to Stephen's stew until the three hours were up, best one yet I have to say.
DSC02495P.jpg

DSC02501P.jpg

Sunday was another lazy morning around camp which had us eating left over stew for early lunch and a slow pack up for the inevitable journey home. This will probably be our last visit to Lomond now until the Ned season is over around September time, the next six months or so will hopefully involve lots more west coast trips and a few ventures further north into the Highlands and Wester Ross lochs.

Last edited:

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Looks like yet another great weekend trip Rich, thanks for sharing it with us. Brilliant photos too

Dave

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Cheers HB, it's the big beach at the southern tip of wallaby island

Ah I thought as much what with the canoes. Where abouts do you park,off the west coast A82 road presumably? I usually go up the B road on the east coast to Rowardennan and hike from there. I'm always jealous of your piccys!

I have to ask.. are there actually wallabies?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ah I thought as much what with the canoes. Where abouts do you park,off the west coast A82 road presumably? I usually go up the B road on the east coast to Rowardennan and hike from there. I'm always jealous of your piccys!

I have to ask.. are there actually wallabies?

I would like to hike up that east side one day so might just give you a shout at some point.

Definitely wallaby's though ...
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39640&highlight=wallabies

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Rich
Nice report and great photos. Seems quiet for that side of the Loch, when did you do the trip? I'm debating spending time there or on Loch Long at the end of March. I plan to see how busy Loch Lomond is before stopping or moving on. My experience there is towards the other end of the year when we found L. Lomond very busy especially the area you camped in at weekends.
Alan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
At the end of March it should still be fairly quiet I should think, you'll always be able to find a spot out of the way somewhere. Inchconnachan gets busy but there are plenty of beaches and coves you could get to yourself.

Loch Long is nice though and I'd be tempted to push on up there if you can.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I would like to hike up that east side one day so might just give you a shout at some point.

Definitely wallaby's though ...
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39640&highlight=wallabies

Right I definately need to see the wallabies LOL that is awesome! Don't have a canoe though! That'd be good mate but I don't think we'll be able to, I should be heading off to Spain in a week or so (or whenever I get my car fixed argh!) for an indefinate period, though I plan to be back at the start of autumn to do the west highland way.

Rich
Nice report and great photos. Seems quiet for that side of the Loch, when did you do the trip? I'm debating spending time there or on Loch Long at the end of March. I plan to see how busy Loch Lomond is before stopping or moving on. My experience there is towards the other end of the year when we found L. Lomond very busy especially the area you camped in at weekends.
Alan

Lomond gets very busy, but really only where it's easily accessable from car. Balmaha and Rowardennen are heaving in the summer. I'd suggest you park up at Rowardennen and follow the WHW trail a few miles along the coast, because the road stops at the pier there'll be a lot less people. There have been less this year since the police started enforcing the throughway and issuing fines along the east coast B road. I've been to Lomand/the trossachs area atleast once a month since last July and haven't run into anyone else camping since September. If you want the place to yourself now is the time to go.

Another good choice is Loch Katrine, easy to get to and the road is a cracking drive. Instead of turning off the A road to go to Drymen you keep going straight, little bit further out but it's lovely, a very scenic drive, and just before the Hotel at the end theres a turnoff which leads to a dead end road that runs the loch's bank. I'm going camping this friday up there so I'll try and snap some pictures. It's got a more 'into the highlands' feel than Lomond, this is the only pic I can find, hope Shewie doesn't mind me posting ;) A bit more mountainous compared to lomond's hills.

stacks.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Right I definately need to see the wallabies LOL that is awesome! Don't have a canoe though! That'd be good mate but I don't think we'll be able to, I should be heading off to Spain in a week or so (or whenever I get my car fixed argh!) for an indefinate period, though I plan to be back at the start of autumn to do the west highland way.

Could be up for the WHW if you fancy some company, I'll have to check holidays at work and passes from the wife nearer the time though

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Great pics Rich, was a great wee trip

Didn't release you'd taken one of my small snooze, 7pm Friday to 4pm Saturday was a bit epic, even for me :D

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hi Shewie..man that looks like a great place to camp..love your Dog..did she get her fair share of stew ? also i really like that parachute shelter and pot stand..thanks again for the pic's...vince g. 11B Inf..

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Could be up for the WHW if you fancy some company, I'll have to check holidays at work and passes from the wife nearer the time though

Sounds good bud! It's a little up in the air just now for obvious reasons but I'll definately give you a bit of forewarning to see if you're up for it. Otherwise if you're heading up to lomond in the next week or two let me know.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great read and the pictures are stunning. We almost made it out last week until my mates missus decided to drop 8 weeks early, how rude..

Soon though soon! Thanks for the inspiration.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE