A quick question..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nick93

Dec 27, 2009
Devon, England
I have always wanted to try the method of cooking fish in the embers of a fire. However I don't know what species of plant are suitable for wrapping the fish in.. So just wanted to know what UK plants it is ok to use for this method of cooking? Thankyou
Nick

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hazle leaves are ok in the summer........you could try burdock leaves too, not sure how eddible they are though........as said before dock leaves would be good to......

you could also try an earth oven and steam your fish once wrapped up in your chosen vegitation..........

regards.

chris.....................................................................................

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
ramson leaves work well and give a nice flavour.
that what we used to wrap our pheasant in for an earth oven.

Last edited:

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Burdock leaves are the best for this time of year they are a nice size and you can wrap the fish well. As an alternative you could use cabbage leaves, a marrow steams the fish very well and you can add all sorts of tasty stuff also you could use newspaper or even clay.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
....a marrow steams the fish very well and you can add all sorts of tasty stuff ....

Cheers Frogo, I've been rackin' my brain to come up with something different for the scouts to do...got a camp coming up in the next month or so, and trout in marrow sounds perfect for a pit oven...

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
Sorrel leaves work well. Wrap the fish in two layers; the inner layer protects the fish while the outer layer burns away.

--

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
ramson leaves work well and give a nice flavour.
that what we used to wrap our pheasant in for an earth oven.
Spring lamb is my favourite in ramson leaves, ground oven. Take out the middle of a french stick and fill with the meat and make sauce from a bit of mint. Shame ramsons dont last all year, otherwise i have used burdock leaves.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE