A night in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This was a nice watch, Alastair Humphreys is more at home on a Himalayan mountain top or crossing an ocean in a paddle craft, a couple of days outside their comfort zone ...

[video=vimeo;24913896]http://vimeo.com/24913896[/video]

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I liked that ,nice find Rich ,,,, but i think if it had been raining those shelters they made would have been as much use as a chocolate tea pot

Cheers

Jason

Woadhart

Feb 24, 2012
Fife
Enjoyed that, thanks for the post.

Agreed, a decent little film,though using a axe as a plate to eat off may be a bit dodgy.

Digging with the axe won't do it much good either but then again if I was starving I'd probably be trying to use the least amount of calories to dig too.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Was it just me or did that knife look a tad blunt?

In any case, I sometimes think there "neolithic experience" trips are a a bit misleading.

When neolithic man was doing this, the forests stretched for thousands of miles and were absolutely full of wildlife and very few humans. Yes neolithic man was far, far more skilled than we could ever be - but I suspect he used that skill to provide himself with surpluses and/or leisure time, rather than just barely eeking out a living.

If someone with a modicum of bushcraft knowledge was to find themselves in the Neolithic forest, I think they'd be surprised at how much food there was in them compared to the modern "tree reservations" we call forests. They'd probably go hungry the first week or so, but after that I reckon they'd have it figured out.

While Neolithic man could keep himself fed (in the summer at least) for a negligible effort, a modern man could probably just about survive by working far harder. The whole point about humans is they are intelligent and create novel solutions to the problem of survival.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE