A nice day on Thirlmere

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Had a lovely relaxing day with a pal today on Thirlmere, we were up at the crack of dawn and on the water just after 8 o'clock. Getting up early usually guarantees free parking in a layby plus the roads were dead when I set off at 5:30, the added bonus was a mirror lake and a gorgeous mist sitting on the water before the sun got high enough.

Mat was giving his new boat "HMS Hang" it's maiden voyage so excuse the amount of canoe shots :)

Not much to say about the day so I'll just share the pics ..

Boats loaded with munchies and brew kit, ready to go
P1010320P_zps5bfac760.jpg

Looking north down Thirlmere
P1010321P_zps8c0d8cb7.jpg

Away we go
P1010322P_zps06856d49.jpg

Sun trying it's hardest to burn off the mist
P1010323P_zpsff5a3fba.jpg

There's a dam down here somewhere
P1010324P_zps815d8c02.jpg

Mat happy in his new toy
P1010325P_zpsbf00085c.jpg

P1010327P_zpse8dce4cc.jpg

The mist got so thick at one point that we could barely make out the shore 30 yards away, we found a nice beachy area and had the first stop of the day. I cooked up some sausage and bacon sarnies while we sat blethering for a while, the sun managed to get up over Helvellyn by this point and the mist just cleared like somebody flicked a switch.

P1010328P_zps4f091292.jpg

P1010329P_zps705a508c.jpg

P1010330P_zpsad3a1430.jpg

We enjoyed a nice leisurely paddle down to the dam end of the lake and then cut across to the other side, reaching the point where the busy A591 cuts back down near the lake we crossed back over and checked out the islands. Pushing on to almost the southern tip of the lake we found a beach I'd visited before and crashed out for an hour or so. We scoffed lunch and swapped boats, having a play on the homeward stretch back to the cars.

Lunch spot
P1010334P_zps19796908.jpg

Same beach back in 2009, I'm guessing the water was around 6ft higher today.
DSC00961.jpg

Cheers for looking

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Looks like you had a great time. You are so lucky and all your canoe trips ive seen have the most beautiful still lakes. I love canoeing and kayaking but down in kent there isn't a lot of scope for that. But when i go to Sweden i go canoeing there and it is the best ever. Take care and have fun.
Thanks
Jacob

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
beautiful Rich,..

everytime i see your pics i,m envious,....

i,ve been having pompooter issues and got your PM on an ipod of all things ,...so struggled to answer

dont forget about me tho dude,...i still need some tuition and you are the man!!

just swapped the pick up too, so i need a roof rack for the new motor,..

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
A mate and I went on Thirlmere years ago and got whinged at by a very stroppy park warden for doing so as apparently "its not allowed".
Obviously we just figured that the trick was to get unloaded and out on the water faster in future.

I think they have lessened the restrictions nowadays but we haven't been back there anyway.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like you had a great time. You are so lucky and all your canoe trips ive seen have the most beautiful still lakes. I love canoeing and kayaking but down in kent there isn't a lot of scope for that. But when i go to Sweden i go canoeing there and it is the best ever. Take care and have fun.
Thanks
Jacob

Cheers Jacob, would love to get to Sweden one year for a paddle, are the mossies and black flies as bad as folk make out in summer?

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Thanks mate, glad you liked them

Stunning mate. You take a lovely picture

Cheers BT, it was an easy photo day today, every direction you looked it was just perfect

Great pics Rich as always, good to see you out in the Noo again. No problems at Euro yet? :p

Lol, not yet mate. I think I've got some more work coming up though so I'll be in touch :) Oh yeah, tell Josh I've got my first proper scrape on the noo today, there's some nasty sharp rocks around Thirlmere which cut right through to the yellow layer in a couple of places.

Great pics fella, Looks like a great day out.
Thanks for sharing

It was a lovely day, very relaxing in the sun

beautiful Rich,..

everytime i see your pics i,m envious,....

i,ve been having pompooter issues and got your PM on an ipod of all things ,...so struggled to answer

dont forget about me tho dude,...i still need some tuition and you are the man!!

just swapped the pick up too, so i need a roof rack for the new motor,..

Shame you couldn't make it dude, I'll give you a shout when I'm next heading over that way.

A mate and I went on Thirlmere years ago and got whinged at by a very stroppy park warden for doing so as apparently "its not allowed".
Obviously we just figured that the trick was to get unloaded and out on the water faster in future.

I think they have lessened the restrictions nowadays but we haven't been back there anyway.

How long ago was that, my first paddle on there was in 2009? I've heard they can be a bit keen if you're loaded up with camping gear, they don't like folk camping on the islands apparently. It's a lovely bit of water and I've not seen another boat on there yet, everybody seems to fly straight past on the way to Derwent instead.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
How long ago was that, my first paddle on there was in 2009? I've heard they can be a bit keen if you're loaded up with camping gear, they don't like folk camping on the islands apparently. It's a lovely bit of water and I've not seen another boat on there yet, everybody seems to fly straight past on the way to Derwent instead.

It must have been about 1990 or so so was quite some time ago.
Its a nice lake (well, reservoir) and I've always liked the far side with the little road as opposed to the side with the far more busy road. Some nice areas up the hill on that side also.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It must have been about 1990 or so so was quite some time ago.
Its a nice lake (well, reservoir) and I've always liked the far side with the little road as opposed to the side with the far more busy road. Some nice areas up the hill on that side also.

I think United Utilities are a bit more relaxed these days, they've opened up quite a few waters, I fancy doing Ennerdale at some point now they've scrapped the permit scheme.
There's some great spots for camping on the west side of Thirlmere, done quite a bit of exploring up that way. They're starting to clear some of the forestry now though so it looks a scruffy in places. There's a high bivvy pitch under Raven Crag which gives stunning views down the lake, I'll take the camera next time in hope of getting a nice cloud inversion shot.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice looking paddle. Noticed some frost for the first time yesterday morning.

The thermometer in the car dropped down to -1.5c when I was driving along onto Skipton by the river, no frost yet in Morley but it's not far away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE