A New Natural Tinder (burns like tinder fungus)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
After reading the house hold kindling thread i decided to try out a new tinder down the field today.

it worked like a dream and burnt just like tinder fungus/cramp balls.

right here is the big answer as to what it is, but be warned its a bit yuk...lol

old dry HORSE POO!!!!!

its true burns just like tinder fungus after i put a few sparks on it from the fero rod. mind you i suppose its just compact dry grass realy so no reason for it not to work realy....

anyway just thought i would share the new info......

Thanks....Chris....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know that the American pioneers called it prairie coals, and that it gets burned elsewhere in the world as fuel, but I didn't know it could take from a ferro rod :cool:

cheers,
M

Bush_Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2010
Portugal
As far as I know until the dictatorship that dominated Portugal that lasted until the start of the 70's (until this date Portugal was primarilly a country based on agriculture) poo from various cattle was burned to spare wood....

The only thing I didn't had knowledge was that it could catch fire from sparks...

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
it was good and dry but just a few sparks from the fero rod and it was away.

its raining today so cant try it with the flint & steel but im sure if you opened it out and fluffed it up would take that spark too......

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I did a one and half month expedition across the peruvian planes, going up to about 18000ft/5500mtrs and all the locals collect horse and cow pats and stack them and dry them and use them to cook all of their food, we started doing it after a while as well when petrol supplies ran low. it has to be a pretty hot fire to burn well and it also needs to be very dry but its an excellent source of fuel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE