A Mystery Tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Used to have something with a similar style head but a horn handle. It was for putting a brace of holes in the top of tins of say evaporated milk. One as a pouring hole the other as an air vent. The two little bottle opener type indents caught on the lip of the tin and the point pushed through.
Don't know if that's what it is but it looks awful like it.
Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
There seems to be a hole in the actual blade upon magnification. Possibly for inserting a thread/sinew of some sort?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You are talking about a church key can opener there Colin. I still use them :)

Aye, hadn't really thought about it that way as Church Keys were always lighter and more pocketable where as this was a big-ish double ended thing with a big lump of polished curved horn atween them. It was more of a table piece. Come to think of it I've not really seen one like it Hugh. It was mainly used for poking holes in Carnation® Evaporated Milk tins. :D

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Used to have something with a similar style head but a horn handle. It was for putting a brace of holes in the top of tins of say evaporated milk. One as a pouring hole the other as an air vent. The two little bottle opener type indents caught on the lip of the tin and the point pushed through.
Don't know if that's what it is but it looks awful like it.

Those used to be used to make what must be the original hobo stove out of two bean tins......looked a bit like this one

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...d=0CDQQMygSMBJqFQoTCLzG0_3w78cCFeRp2wodjY4CtA

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Aye, hadn't really thought about it that way as Church Keys were always lighter and more pocketable where as this was a big-ish double ended thing with a big lump of polished curved horn atween them. It was more of a table piece. Come to think of it I've not really seen one like it Hugh. It was mainly used for poking holes in Carnation® Evaporated Milk tins. :D

Yea I was thinking church key also, but that looks like it might have some surgical use.... Maybe being used in the same manner as church key...

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Doesn't look like a cheese sampler to me. Those I've seen and used have a wood T handle on them. I was wondering if it might be a gouge for leather work????. What's really ticking me off is I've seen something like that and it was being used. But I can't remember where.:mad::mad:

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I keep thinking I've seen one of these before too.i'm sure it's some sort of key for opening windows or summert daft like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE