A long winter... Cod season!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Judging by the long range forecasts of a predicted hard winter.... I wonder if we are in for a decent early Cod season this year :)

A good tool I've been using for several years is a live map of the UK buoy data, giving sea temps, wind direction and swell heigh.
Always worth checking before heading out on the darker nights safety wise.

http://www.dugglenet.org/forecast/buoydata/

Another 3 deg's local drop(ish) and the bigger codling should be pushing up the channel for the first run.

Time to dust off the Century's and get some pulley's tied!

al.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Judging by the long range forecasts of a predicted hard winter.... I wonder if we are in for a decent early Cod season this year :)

A good tool I've been using for several years is a live map of the UK buoy data, giving sea temps, wind direction and swell heigh.
Always worth checking before heading out on the darker nights safety wise.

http://www.dugglenet.org/forecast/buoydata/

Another 3 deg's local drop(ish) and the bigger codling should be pushing up the channel for the first run.

Time to dust off the Century's and get some pulley's tied!

al.

Were in Wales are you - used to fish for Cod and stuff off Barry and the Cardiff.

Many mnay years ago

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Were in Wales are you - used to fish for Cod and stuff off Barry and the Cardiff.

Many mnay years ago

On the upper Bristol Channel, Chepstow to Newport... although Spring/Summer, mostly down from Aberthaw to the Gower.

Hopefully it should be a good one. Not been out with the rods for a while, and locally,
Summers been pretty dire fishing wise!

al.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
By the forcast... Its going to be a long cold one. So if you like Cod, its looking promising.

Kit wise, a beachcaster, fixed spool, some pulley rigs or bombers (if its clean ground) and a bucket of lug would be a good start. You also need a sturdy tripod to hold it all. Learn how to find good lug beds and dig your own, or just do cheap and cheerful and buy half a dozen boxes of squid for the freezer. You should get at-least two sessions out of a box of squid!

Take your time, learn how to tie up a shockleader for safety and have fun.

hth, al.

On another note, any members form Bristol way (or further) fancy a meet/fish when the Cod run? I have a local mark that can be fished one up, three down that produced 14 Codling in one session last winter. Best was just shy of 6lb but we know there's bigger as a few of the lads had hooks pulled with something decent on. Its also a good Conger mark.

al.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
By the forcast... Its going to be a long cold one. So if you like Cod, its looking promising.

Kit wise, a beachcaster, fixed spool, some pulley rigs or bombers (if its clean ground) and a bucket of lug would be a good start. Learn how to find lug beds and dig your own or just do cheap and cheerful and buy half a dozen boxes of squid for the freezer. You should get at-least two sessions out of a box of squid!

Take your time, learn how to tie up a shockleader and have fun.

hth, al.

See that's my problem with fishing. The terminology is impenetrable. I don't have a clue what people are talking about. Isn't it just a hook on a line, with some bait?

I think I'll take up spear fishing...

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
No probs buddy.... Just remember if you dig your own, its free :)

Here's a video we did, messing around. It may be of some use.
[video=youtube;xjrd-uknLbw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjrd-uknLbw[/video]

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
See that's my problem with fishing. The terminology is impenetrable. I don't have a clue what people are talking about. Isn't it just a hook on a line, with some bait?

I think I'll take up spear fishing...

I'll show you the way when we get down Aberthaw. Its pretty straight forwards really :)

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
We where slightly 'tippled' as the hotel just up from the beach had some good ales- and we where camping for the weekend.

But it gives you an idea, anyhoo :)

Tight Lines, al.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Never a bad thing :)

I went out once earlier this year, but it was terrible and the local reports are non-existent. My fishing partner said its been the worst he knows of.

Bring on the Cod though, I have a funny feeling its going to be a good season. Regards, al.

Brewers Whoop

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2008
Somerset
On another note, any members form Bristol way (or further) fancy a meet/fish when the Cod run? I have a local mark that can be fished one up, three down that produced 14 Codling in one session last winter. Best was just shy of 6lb but we know there's bigger as a few of the lads had hooks pulled with something decent on. Its also a good Conger mark.

al.

I'd be up for this, TBL. My girlfriend lives in Barry, so I spend most weekends there. Haven't fished yet, but am itching to have a go.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Most of my Cod fishing is upper channel, so Chepstow/Newport way....

I have a mate in St Athens (just past cardiff airport) I do a fair bit of fishing with. I can give you a shout if you fancy calling down next time I'm that way?

Alternative is to drive up from Barry next time I'm out in Chepstow. Just waiting for the sea temps to drop.

atb, al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE