a leaf out of Chris McCandless book?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
afler reading 'into the wild' for the second time im thinking of giving chris mccandless way of life a go, well just for a long weekend maybe.

i wont go into detail but for those who don't know chris spent a couple of years living a nomadic lifestyle hitchhiking around america living off a sack of rice and whatever he foraged along the way. sadly a few months after walking into the alaskan interior he found himself trapped and succumb to starvation and was then found dead by some hunters in the famous abandoned bus.

im just wondering if anybody has tried this? not necessarily the hitchhiking but just living off a sack of rice or similar and whatever else you can find.

i partly want to challenge myself but usually when i spend a day or two in the woods i tend to get lazy, having no real need to forage food i don’t make a good effort:eek:

i know the life chris mccandless is a bit controversial so i would rather this thread doesn't degrade into argument please:)

pete

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
You'll find it hard to get a leaf out of Chris McCandless' book, he probably ate them all. :lmao:

Seriously, I'd give it a go in summer/ autumn but not just now.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
thanks for the link joe, i havn't read much of the article yet but it looks a good read.

the place i plan to try this is on the coast where there are many plants i am familier with and there is also seaweed and even limpits if i get REALLY hungry lol:yuck: i may try fishing too if i can find myself a rod.

your right locum, its probably not the best time of year but work gets quiet round about now and i will have more time. also i can't wait for summer!:D

pete

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'd want to replace the bag of rice with a bag of porridge too.

There's places in Scotland where it'd be a doddle in summer. The earn valley would be amazing - its a foragers dream. But you wouldn't get the sense of isolation there.

What kind of location do you have in mind?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE