A good year for the berries?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I just watched a bit on the news saying it's been a great year for berries and wild foraging in general.
They certainly seem to be promoting the whole keeping chickens and such like...

Any way, I've a decent looking crop of haws in the back garden but not had time to go out on a forage. How is everyone else's crop this year?

Andy

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Blackberries, rowans and elderberries are all pretty plentiful this year and I've made full use of them for some fruit schnapps that should be ready for Christmas :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Best blackcurrant and redcurrant crop for 12 years at our house

We went blackberry picking a few weeks ago and got two carrier bags full in no time, next door but one's apple tree is heaving with fruit

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
So far been focusing on the apples, elders and blackberries. Rowan, haw, sea buckthorn and sloes are on my hit list next. It's definitely a bumper crop this year and I won't be scratching around trying to find useful amounts, unlike last year. I need longer weekends and shorter work days....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's been a brilliant year for fruits here too. I'm still picking Autumn fruiting rasps, I've run out of things to make from brambles, and I haven't started on the rosehaws yet and the apples (a late fruiting desert, a keeper) haven't been picked either. The little wild hautbois strawberries were so plentiful that I made syrup from them.
All of the wild fruits are doing really, really well. I'm looking forward to the yews :)

Rowans ?
I made rowan and apple jelly (think marmalade without importing any oranges :) )

cheers,
Toddy

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Bumper crops here. Ideal growing conditions despite (or due to :rolleyes: )the late start .:)

I've had quite a few apple & blackberry crumbles already.:D

Rose hips

Haws.

I think these are blackthorn...

Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Hazels are just ripening here and I'm finding some really good size nuts this year too. I filled a pocket while out working yesterday and the cobnut tree I planted in my garden a couple of years ago has produced quite a few too.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Not overly familiar with Rowan berries personally, I can identify them but that's about it.

Just like haws, I've never done anything with them. We've some in the back garden and loads at the local park but they're a bit dull looking and quite dry on the inside.... Should they be shiny and juicy?

I recall in Ray's wild food that his were dry and he just added water?

Any advice on picking/ preparing would be appreciated.

Andy

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Stunning blackberry crops by us, and very good damsons too this year. Such a change from last year when blackberries were him on the ground and we picked no damsons at all.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Not overly familiar with Rowan berries personally, I can identify them but that's about it.

Just like haws, I've never done anything with them. We've some in the back garden and loads at the local park but they're a bit dull looking and quite dry on the inside.... Should they be shiny and juicy?

I recall in Ray's wild food that his were dry and he just added water?

Any advice on picking/ preparing would be appreciated.

Andy

I'm making a rowan berry schnapps which is just vodka, rowans and, eventually, sugar. Google it and you get recipes.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I've never done anything with rosehips before. I remember my nan making stacks of rosehip jelly and I thought it was fantastic. I wouldn't min having a go at making some myself. The only rosehips I have found near me so far are great big fat ones like cherry tomatoes. The ones my nan used looked like the ones in blacktimberwolf's photo. Can I use the fat ones or am I on the hunt for a specific variety?

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Can't move for elderberries round my way. I'm thinking of using them to flavour so e suitable booze ready for Christmas.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I went harvesting last week...huge crops of Blackberries, sloes, wild apples, rowans but best of all loads of good sized hazels nuts....not picked the rowans yet and still a good couple batches of sloes & blackberries to get in...my Son has already made a handsome Blackberry & Wild Apple Pie and a nice fresh B & A Crumble too :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE