A gift for me for my Birthday

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I was talking to my son the other day and he was asking....ok, i'll admit, i told him, please No more Matalan shirts and jumpers.

So he asks; well what the hell ye wanting for yer birthday....I was stuck for an answer, but my real answer would probably be nothing as i have everything i need. But i was wondering,... What bushy stuff could my sons buy me for £20 or less.

I love my sons, i do, but they give me presents, and it's quite obvious the granny has chosen or bought to pass on to myself, or she's dumping last years gifts on me.?

In the past ten years i dont think i have worn anything they have bought me, so my question is?...for £20 or less what can my boys get me for my birthday other than the obligatory old man stuff that i have no need for. Christ man, i would die for a bugs bunny onesy. :(

To be honest i just wish they would just buy me a big fat sirloin and maybe some mushrooms. And or come bushcrafting with me. The last time i took my son bushcrafting his pals all turned up with a fresh change of underpants and deodorant all tucked away neatly in there vito brianno/Gianni varspoochy Manbags. :confused:

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
True Utility gadgets and the like :D

Wee things that hang on your keyring. Cost too blooming much unless it's a pressie.
Sliver nipper tweezers, peanut lighter, space pen, mini torch (not a cheap 99p shot one or something that you could brain a burglar with)

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/True_Uti...undle=183705&gclid=CJ3VzqmY4MgCFUfkwgod4y4HKA

this kind of thing.

cheers,
M…..who's own 'keyring' is a becoming bushcraft charm bracelet :D

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
That lighter is pretty cool Mary. i dont take my 40th birthday zippo with me in case i lose it. i have lost 3 zippos in the past so this lighter may be ideal. cheers...i'll save the link and add it to the list of stuff i might want.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You could tell them to buy you a voucher for Adventure One ? or you could go into the shop, (or the army surplus in Lanark, that gets a good rep) and make a list of 'stuff' that you like. Tell the lads to pick sommat off it.

M

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Make an Amazon wish list with some books you'd like. £20 should be plenty and they'll have loads of choice, so still a bit of a surprise.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
May be a wee bit more than £20 though they could club together or you could put a wee bit in so as the lads could come with you but maybe a day course at the likes of Do It Outdoors run out of Auchengarrich Wildlife Park @ Comrie? His prices are pretty good and taught skills never wear out. Could be a nice Lad & Dad bonding sesh.
Failing that something like Toddy said as their range is pretty good. My personal thing would maybe be a wee Opinel knife. Don't cost a lot and something to keep that you could use every day. Just mind and give him a penny back if getting a knife. ;)
Hope you have a good one when it comes Steve, how old is it this year?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Christ man, i would die for a bugs bunny onesy. :(

:lmao:excellent. Bet they're very comfy. I wear the calvin klein lounge pants, but secretly crave a massive teddy bear onesy, ears and all.

How about a load of black tarred bank cord. Lasts for ages, can be used for all sorts. Good stuff.

I use it on my tarps, instead of the much more expensive dyneema.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
A torch from Heinnie's? You can never have too many torches.
One of those Tritium glow fobs for your keyring or other essential bit of kit. (look on EDC gear for more ideas)
2 bottles of good wine.
1 bottle of good port
A cheese selection from a fancy deli (to go with the port the other one bought you)
Get them to take you out for a meal at a venue of your choice
A bit of retro army surplus that you fancy (Swedish LK35 rucksack, Finnish haversack, Swedish wool jacket etc would all by my choices)

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Batteries, not the sort of thing I want to spend a lot of money on but quality rechargeable ones are so worth it in the long run, so I would deffo have some as a prezzy.
We are all pretty much using lamps, phones or other gizmos.

Sanyo Eneloops - AA and AAA, and Panasonic 18650's, couple the AA's or an 18650 with a charger device that charges your battery(ies) and charges your phone.

Right now I'm looking at a couple of torches that can take AAA batteries or the 18650, that way I can use the battery stock that I have built up to more efficient and economic use.

As a charger\power pack for phones etc, I use these sort of things.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001919/1158902-miller-ml-103-smart-charger-for-18650
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...a-batteries-emergency-power-charger-for-cell-

That is all assuming that you need anything of this kind though :D

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
True Utility gadgets and the like ...

+1 to that.
I've been quite impressed with some of their little gadgets.
I've had a couple of their lighters for years (one blue flame gas, one peanut petrol) and they've been really reliable.
Both Christmas presents from my sister, as it happens.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Batteries, not the sort of thing I want to spend a lot of money on but quality rechargeable ones are so worth it in the long run, so I would deffo have some as a prezzy.
We are all pretty much using lamps, phones or other gizmos.

Sanyo Eneloops - AA and AAA, and Panasonic 18650's, couple the AA's or an 18650 with a charger device that charges your battery(ies)and charges your phone.

Right now I'm looking at a couple of torches that can take AAA batteries or the 18650, that way I can use the battery stock that I have built up to more efficient and economic use.

As a charger\power pack for phones etc, I use these sort of things.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001919/1158902-miller-ml-103-smart-charger-for-18650
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...a-batteries-emergency-power-charger-for-cell-

That is all assuming that you need anything of this kind though :D

I just bought 4 of THESE eneloop pro's which I thought were ridiculously expensive.
They seem bright in my torch. Hope theyre worth it! Apparently supposed to operate well at -20˚
So they'll be going in my trail cam in Ontario.

Last edited:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I just bought 4 of THESE eneloop pro's which I thought were ridiculously expensive.
They seem bright in my torch. Hope theyre worth it! Apparently supposed to operate well at -20˚

Dave, I don't think that was at all expensive for what is an excellent rechargeable battery, I believe you will be glad you bought them, and they will also save you money ;)

ged

Jul 16, 2009

Be aware that specifications quoted by suppliers aren't always what you get in practice - if a failure is going to lose you all your holiday snaps you might want to test them first. Try putting them in the freezer?

Just as an example, last weekend Big Si showed me some 6000mAh 18650 batteries.

Here's what I found:

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/UltraFire SJ18650 6000mAh (Black) UK.html

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Dave, I don't think that was at all expensive for what is an excellent rechargeable battery, I believe you will be glad you bought them, and they will also save you money ;)

Some of the reviewers on Amazon's Website might not agree with you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JWC40JY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

There are two reviews of this product claiming significant capacity loss after only a few charge/discharge cycles.

The physical size of the cell might be an issue in some equipment.
Like one reviewer of this product, I have also had problems with some rechargeable cells (not this make) being too large in diameter to fit in one of my torches.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Be aware that specifications quoted by suppliers aren't always what you get in practice - if a failure is going to lose you all your holiday snaps you might want to test them first. Try putting them in the freezer?

Just as an example, last weekend Big Si showed me some 6000mAh 18650 batteries.

Here's what I found:

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/UltraFire SJ18650 6000mAh (Black) UK.html

And there are fakes out there for all battery types, personally I prefer Panasonic Brand (who bought sanyo eneloop I understand), a quick google on how to identify fakes should help, and buy from a supplier where you have positive buyer protection.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE