A first attempt at axe refurb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
DSC00040.jpg

Well, I was pleased with the way this turned out. Here it is with my trust Husqvarna hatchet for comparison.

DSC00001.jpg DSC00002.jpg

And this is what I started with. Rather dinged. It doesn't show, but the side without the maker's marks was rather concave almost back to the poll. To be honest, this made me a bit braver, so I went for it despite lacking skill or knowledge. The handle was just cut down from an old, broken one that was lying around.

DSC00031.jpg DSC00032.jpg

Despite ending up making the bevel even more wonky than it was in the first place, it did quite well when I had a go at trimming up some wood for carving. An accidental success, despite the lack of finesse.

Cheers,
Leif

Attachments

• DSC00037.jpg
    DSC00037.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
There's no problem with that one mate, nice little refurb there, like how you've kept the tell tale signs of use it gives it all the character its nice to an old tool brought back into use :).

How does it feel with the helve at that angle?, I tend to like mine either more upright or a slightly more open Heel to Knob.

Keep it up mate more to come?

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
There's no problem with that one mate, nice little refurb there, like how you've kept the tell tale signs of use it gives it all the character its nice to an old tool brought back into use :).

How does it feel with the helve at that angle?, I tend to like mine either more upright or a slightly more open Heel to Knob.

Keep it up mate more to come?

Thanks. The angle feels fine to me, but the couple of people who've tried it thought it was a bit off. Of course, they're taller than me, with bigger hands. Maybe that makes a difference as they were trying to work on my bench with it.

Cheers,
Leif

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
That may well be why I like the helve more open, I got big hands :)

I look forward to seeing more :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That looks like a very nice job - I too have small-ish hands and prefer a helve much like you've fitted...........Nice work,........atb mac

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Thanks peeps. I've been using it quite a bit this afternoon and am quite pleased. It's a good weight for me.

Cheers,
Leif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE