A Fat Problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, anyway, my landlady turned up on my doorstep with 2 nearly full tubs of margarine and 2/3 a bottle of rapeseed oil...holiday maker left them and she knows full well I dont waste anything.

Now what do I do?

Ill eat some marg, though I use very little spread and that generaly butter (but marg doesnt go hard in the fridge)

I already have 2 nearly full bottles of oil. (if I fry I generaly am a slob and dig into the pot of sausage and bacon dribblings...)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Whiz up the marg with garlic and chives. Roll into a sausage type shape with cling film and store in the freezer. Then when you fancy some garlic bread just take it out slice of a bit and spread onto some bread and grill.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Rapeseed oil has about the lowest gelling point of vegetable oils. If you have an older diesel car (i.e. not a high pressure common rail or pump deuse computer controlled jobbie), you may be able to add it to the fuel tank.

There's a growing number of people with an intolerance to unrefined rapeseed oil, my wife is one of them. Whether this is a good indication that consuming it is a bad idea or not, I don't know. Your call ;)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Do something similar with the oil that you have, to make a herb oil, or a chilli oil, or whatever you fancy. Just put the flavouring in the bottle with the oil and forget about it for a while.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Nope, my car is petrol. (I know some people put a small amont in on a full tank but Im not taking the risk.)

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I was going to say the same as British Red about soap. Rapeseed oil will keep well though provided you keep it cool and out of the light. The UV in sunlight dramatically accelerates the oxidation and subsequent rancidity of oils.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think that you'll find that "rapeseed" is an archaic term for Canola. I use it for salad oil and/or (deep) frying when I want a nearly flavorless oil.
Check the marg ingredients: could be an emulsion of olive oil and water.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not here I think, I have never seen Canola in any shop here, but I've seen some very fancy and expensive rapeseed oil

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I have managed to foist 80% of my marg on friends

And after discovering some crispy noodles in the coupboard, I now have less oil.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Aye like Red says it's become pretty de rigueur here in certain circles where it's quite a gourmet thing. Whereas Canola was a type of rapeseed I thought developed in Canada.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think that you'll find that "rapeseed" is an archaic term for Canola. I use it for salad oil and/or (deep) frying when I want a nearly flavorless oil.
Check the marg ingredients: could be an emulsion of olive oil and water.

Not archaic in this country.

No, it's grown and sold as Rapeseed.
http://www.scotrapeseedoil.co.uk/#home

M

Ah. I figured it out: there's an international oil seed standard. Above the threshold, it is Canola.

Not here I think, I have never seen Canola in any shop here, but I've seen some very fancy and expensive rapeseed oil

Not the best of sources, but according to Wikipedia Canola is just one of the cultivars of rapeseed. That said, I've never seen rapeseed oil anywhere in North America either. :dunno:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bog standard 'vegetable oil' variety is cheap here, but folks like the growers on the link I posted cost over £4 for 500ml for top quality oil.
The red stuff's nice :)
I'd never heard of canola until I tried to follow American recipes for gluten free stuff. I reckoned it was just vegetable oil.

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......I'd never heard of canola until I tried to follow American recipes for gluten free stuff. I reckoned it was just vegetable oil.

M

I never gave it much thought either Mary. I also just use it pretty much as an ordinary veg oil (although I believe we diabetics are generally supposed to avoid any oil starting with a "C.")

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Chances are when you buy generic "vegetable oil," that's Safflower = Carthamus tinctorius, a crop that goes back to the pharaohs of ancient Egypt.
Somewhat similar to Sunflower oil, (Helianthus anuus and others).

Canola must have better than 44% oil (Brassica napus, B. rapa, B. juncea), the other 56% is made into high protein livestock feed.
This is a Canadian oil seed derived by selection and subsequent oil extraction research in Canada.

It's quite possible that transportation costs may determine prices and availability of any of these.
I keep Canola, safflower, olive, sesame, grapeseed & peanut oils in my kitchen.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The only British grown oil that's in any way widely available is rapeseed.

Newer varieties of corn are being grown here now though too, so maybe in time.

I have olive (several varieties, some are better for salads than cooking) generic 'vegetable oil', rapeseed, peanut, rice bran, coconut and sesame oils, for cooking.
Grapeseed oil I use for mixing in with essential oils, though more usually I use sweet almond or jojoba for that.

Different countries, different climates and different trade routes.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE