A couple of questions about waterproofs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I'll set the scene before asking the questions. I've been busy for the past few months and haven't gotten out as often as I'd like. Today, however, I had a light schedule so I decided to go out for a long walk despite the darkening sky and the predictions of doom on the Metoffice website.
I decided to wear a jacket I have had for years, it's a SEPP rain jacket, and last time I had taken it out I had given it a good wash, air dried it and then a treatment with Nikwax during the summer so I felt I'd be well protected.
It didn't rain heavily, but it did drizzle for a good two hours of my three hour ramble, and the rain got in. Pretty much all over too.

And so, to the question: does Nikwax's effectiveness wear off even if the jacket is not being used (today was the first day I wore that particular jacket since when I treated it)?

In the past I have tended to avoid waterproof trousers as I never felt very comfortable in over-trousers - hated the elasticated waists and the general fit of them - at least in the one's I tried. So today my legs got wet yet again and I thought maybe it's time to look at some waterproof trousers again.

Next question: (Silly question this one because I have really no experience of them, and certainly am not au fait with the latest products) Ok, waterproof trousers - are they all over-trousers - or are waterproof trousers and waterproof over-trousers different animals? I won't be in town for a week or so, so no opportunity to pop into Millets or Cotwolds to ask for advice until then, so I thought I ask on here. Maybe get some recommendations I can look at without having to spend a fortune hopefully.
All advice gratefully received!

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
+1 for the Craggies.
I got a aquadry set and they really are waterproof and very comfortable.
Mine are fleece lined inside, so winter suited but I'm sure I've seen summer ones too.
With a lifetime (limited) warranty on them you can't go far wrong.
👍

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
You say you gave it a good wash. What did you use to wash it?

If it was a detergent, then you need to rinse out every trace of that detergent, then reproof. Detergent will just cause your jacket to wick through the rainwater, even if you have reproofed with nikwax.

Only ever wash waterproofs with pure soap flakes or nikwax wash (or equivalent). Don't use detergent.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Breathable waterproofs can only do so much, what you might of been finding is that the moisture inside is just sweat that has been caught in the jacket then condensed to form the moisture on clothing etc..

If it is a membrane jacket (Goretex and the like) then it's the membrane itself that is the waterproof part of the jacket. Treatments nikwax just help the water to bead on the outer fabric, helping it to stay breathable, since moisture can't get out if its soaked on the outside.

Try washing with a bit of liquid soap like cheap hand soap then re-treat with nikwax and and see if this improves it. If not then either it was sweat or the membranes worn through in places.

Tonyuk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
As far as waterproof trousers are concerned, I never could wear them; just way too restrictive with all that bulk and they'll boil me alive!

I keep a pair of waxed cotton chaps in the van for when I really need the protection, and they're great. Easy on and off without having to remove boots etc., and they just clip to your belt so no huge waist or bulk, just the protection you need 'round the legs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE