A couple of hammock questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hey,
Im in the process of 'pimping' my hammock. After watching through Shugmery's vids on youtube Im left with a couple of questions.

Structural ridgelines;
What am I aiming for here, should they have lots of tension on them?
How much sag am I looking for?
Does it need to be adjustable or can I just used a fixed line of paracord?

The 30 degrees;
I've heard it mentioned here a couple of times but I'm unsure what it applies too?

Thanks guys :D

_Geraint_

Feb 8, 2008
Lancashire
In my opinion it should be setup to how you like it, I don't think there is a 1 size fits all with hammocks. People are different sizes and shapes, so every setup will be different.
Whats most important is that you get a good nights sleep and you are sleeping in such a way that its not going to hurt your back or cause discomfort.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Keep trying different set ups when you find the one that you feel is best that will be the right one.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
Hey,
Im in the process of 'pimping' my hammock. After watching through Shugmery's vids on youtube Im left with a couple of questions.

Structural ridgelines;
What am I aiming for here, should they have lots of tension on them?
How much sag am I looking for?
Does it need to be adjustable or can I just used a fixed line of paracord?

The 30 degrees;
I've heard it mentioned here a couple of times but I'm unsure what it applies too?

Thanks guys :D

tension on structural ridge line depends on sag angle from main suspension - sag angle too small = lots of tension on structural ridge line - no tension on structural ridge line = sag angle too large
two approaches for setting length of structural ridge line:
1. setup hammock without the structural ridge line first and keep trying different sag angles until you find a good one for your hammock then measure the length between the ends of the hammock and make a structural ridge line to match
2. setup hammock with an adjustable structural ridge line (ex a long UCR or whoopie sling) and keep trying different lengths until you find one that works well - measure and then optionally make a fixed length structural ridge line to match

personally I would avoid using paracord for the structural ridge line because it stretches too much - recommend using a low stretch line such as a dyneema line (Lash It, Zing It, DynaGlide etc.)

30 degrees - this is a general starting point for the sag angle and often results in a good sag angle for use with the hammock - the sag angle is the angle down from horizontal of the primary support lines to the hammock

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
Crazy suggestion copper head but have you got hold of a copy of 'The Perfect Hang'? a hammockers basic guide really and will explain all you need to know and your questions regarding ridgelines, the 30 degree question etc. Available on both Amazon and through UK Hammocks good luck bud.
Theres a guy on flea bay that does ready made adjustable Amsteel structural ridgelines at a good price too if that helps.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thanks for the replies all

In my opinion it should be setup to how you like it, I don't think there is a 1 size fits all with hammocks. People are different sizes and shapes, so every setup will be different.
Whats most important is that you get a good nights sleep and you are sleeping in such a way that its not going to hurt your back or cause discomfort.

I agree, I just want to give his rig a go, see if it works for me :)

tension on structural ridge line depends on sag angle from main suspension - sag angle too small = lots of tension on structural ridge line - no tension on structural ridge line = sag angle too large
two approaches for setting length of structural ridge line:
1. setup hammock without the structural ridge line first and keep trying different sag angles until you find a good one for your hammock then measure the length between the ends of the hammock and make a structural ridge line to match
2. setup hammock with an adjustable structural ridge line (ex a long UCR or whoopie sling) and keep trying different lengths until you find one that works well - measure and then optionally make a fixed length structural ridge line to match

personally I would avoid using paracord for the structural ridge line because it stretches too much - recommend using a low stretch line such as a dyneema line (Lash It, Zing It, DynaGlide etc.)

30 degrees - this is a general starting point for the sag angle and often results in a good sag angle for use with the hammock - the sag angle is the angle down from horizontal of the primary support lines to the hammock

Thanks Hog, just what I needed to know :D

Crazy suggestion copper head but have you got hold of a copy of 'The Perfect Hang'? a hammockers basic guide really and will explain all you need to know and your questions regarding ridgelines, the 30 degree question etc. Available on both Amazon and through UK Hammocks good luck bud.
Theres a guy on flea bay that does ready made adjustable Amsteel structural ridgelines at a good price too if that helps.

Looks like a good read, I think I've got most of it covered already it was just the ridgeline bit that I hadn't come across before. Thanks for the tip with the dyneema ridgelines though :)

Have a look around Derek Hansens' site too CH, there's some nice illustrations dotted about his blog ...

http://theultimatehang.com/2012/07/hammock-camping-101/

Cheers Shewie!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Sorry to keep on with questions about this!

Went for a walk after posting the thread to have a play about and this is how I set it up:

Tree hugger>Marlin spike>Woopie sling>Caribiner>A loop of webbing that draws the hammock end together.

marlin_zpsa75f01d3.jpg

krab_zps6de63b23.jpg

ddwhoopie_zpsb9b2e349.jpg

If I'd been camping out I'd put the tarp lower....

Basically Im wondering should I attach my structural ridgeline to caribiner or does it need to attach elsewhere? :confused:

Cheers!

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
attaching it to the 'biner is a reasonable place assuming the loop to the hammock is always there

another reasonable place would be to tie it to the loop that goes to the hammock

obviously there is a difference in the length of the ridge line between the two options but both will work about the same - the one with the 'biner will be slightly higher than the one to the loop

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
attaching it to the 'biner is a reasonable place assuming the loop to the hammock is always there

another reasonable place would be to tie it to the loop that goes to the hammock

obviously there is a difference in the length of the ridge line between the two options but both will work about the same - the one with the 'biner will be slightly higher than the one to the loop

Thanks again for your advice, right now to buy some amsteel!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
looks like a nice but of kit for the price.

Mines fixed at 100' (8ft 4') which works out perfect for me as I'm quite tall. You might want to keep it detachable once set
so you can still use the hammock as a chair/lounger if you prefer.

With the 30 degrees, I always find trees at the same distance (give or take a few inches) and keep the straps (eye level for me) at the
same height. I always seem to get a good pitch by following above. No sag or excessive stretch in the SRL.

Your set up looks great for fair weather :) Have a look at Dutch's Ti buckles, which remove the need for a spike and adjust in seconds.

Happy swinging!

Last edited:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
looks like a nice but of kit for the price.

Mines fixed at 100' (8ft 4') which works out perfect for me as I'm quite tall. You might want to keep it detachable once set
so you can still use the hammock as a chair/lounger if you prefer.

With the 30 degrees, I always find trees at the same distance (give or take a few inches) and keep the straps (eye level for me) at the
same height. I always seem to get a good pitch by following above. No sag or excessive stretch in the SRL.

Your set up looks great for fair weather :) Have a look at Dutch's Ti buckles, which remove the need for a spike and adjust in seconds.

Happy swinging!

Cheers for that, I've avoided looking at Dutchware so far I heard it can be somewhat addictive!
Next on this the list is to sort out some sort of UQ....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Dutch Buckles are great, I took this snap when he was over with us in August, the old Caledonian pines were massive so I only just had enough on my tree straps.

Talk about trusting your gear :) ..

TrustingoneinchwithmylifeP.jpg

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I'm just getting into hammocking but the system I use is very quick to put up and very adjustable.

I thread the fixed end of the whoopie sling through the channel on my hammock and larks foot (or head can't remember but its threaded through itself) I have then got a Dutch whoopie hook spliced onto the sling which then just clips onto the tree strap. Very quick to put up and easily adjusted.

A little tip I was told about the 30 deg angle, if you make a gun using your index finger and thumb the angle from the top of your thumb to the tip of your finger is roughly 30 deg.

Cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's worth taking a few steps back and looking at your angles too, remember to keep the foot end about 4" higher than the head.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE