A Bit of SAK Modding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I recently got a Victorinox Forester, because I quite like the handle shape of the 111mm SAKs, and I thought the larger blade and saw would make for a useful "mucking around with bits of wood" knife. However, I had real problems with getting the awl out (thumbnail breaking stiff), so I contacted FFX where I bought it, and they agreed to send me a new one. They didn't seem bothered about me sending the faulty one back though. So what does one do when one has two Foresters? Take one apart and convert it to EDC friendly of course!

IMG_20240307_160005 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

IMG_20240307_164756 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

P1000900 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

After taking it all apart I made a new stainless steel separator to replace the liner lock. Then I shortened the blade, ending up with a sheepsfoot profile in order to retain the nail nick.
The saw was over 3" long, but I couldn't shorten it, as the tip is needed to get the saw open. Instead I ground a few teeth off the rear of the blade, so the cutting edge is now under 3"
The awl was polished up on the back corners, to hopefully ease the opening. I drilled a small hole through it (using a solid carbide drill), because the awls on 111mm SAKs don't have the sewing eye as standard.

Finally I turned some new brass pins, and riveted it all back together.

Last edited:

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Sorry to pee on your chips but I think you'll find the combined cutting edge of all those teeth is way over 3"!!lol
I've often wondered whether there are any law enforcers who would measure the combined lengths of all the cutting edges on a SAK saw. If there are, then a lot of SAK carriers could fall foul of the law.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE