6 inch shefield bowie with stacked leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I bought a shefield Bowie from John Nowill and sons as I wanted to make a classic shefield bowie like had as a kid.

I veered off trck with a stacked leather handle rather than stag. These shots were taken before I put an edge on it. So its a brass gaurd red fibre buffalo horn and stacked leather handle and I got the aluminium pomel with the blade (I asked for one)

Sheath is veg tanned leather.

So what do you think?

6 inch bowie finished 1 by alf.branch, on Flickr

6 inch bowie finished 2 by alf.branch, on Flickr

6 inch bowie finished 3 by alf.branch, on Flickr

6 inch bowie finished 5 by alf.branch, on Flickr

6 inch bowie finished 4 by alf.branch, on Flickr

6 inch bowie finished 6 by alf.branch, on Flickr

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
That is proper Old Skool Alf.
I remember having something similar but much less lovely when I was a teenager.
It is a great piece of work.
Cheers , Simon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nothing wrong with that - I like that very much indeed - I'd be very happy with something like that on my belt

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Awesome ! I had a knife just like that one, with a stacked leather handle, and the "sheffield steel" stamp at the top of the blade.

Looking at the pics took me back to the very distinctive smell of the leather sheath.

Wish I'd kept that knife, it was my first proper sheath knife, bought it from the camping shop in Beddgelert when I was about 11.

Ahhh the memories :)

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Lovely. Still got a soft spot for those, just got a new sheath for mine from Dougster.

So now you have to get out there and USE IT! :)

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Thanks for the comments guys glad you like and remember them so well. Woof I think its only those of us over a certain age that one as they are not that common now and frankly we all recomend foreign knives.

So now you have to get out there and USE IT! :)

I am giving it away in a comp on BB so I wont be using it myself.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
l. Woof I think its only those of us over a certain age that one as they are not that common now and frankly we all recomend foreign knives.

Hah !, sad but true, i gave mine(which i got some 40yrs ago)to a so called friend who could'nt afford a knife, not seen him since..

Rob

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i've got so many of that type of knife ina box somewhere, ranging in size and maker but all very much of that classic knifey stylee :) I had three faves growing up (all Nowells I think), one was 3" and had a leather handle, the others were 5" and 7" and they both had antler handles. All of them had that same combo of brass, red and black with a pewter (?) pommel and that same style of sheath (one each in brown, black and mustard yellow!)

The only critiscm (if you could call it that) I have with your refurb there Alf is that your fit and finish is much better that the originals! :D They always have huge gaps and wonky fittings

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The only critiscm (if you could call it that) I have with your refurb there Alf is that your fit and finish is much better that the originals! :D They always have huge gaps and wonky fittings

Dave its not a refurb I bought the blade blank and the pomel new the blade had no edge and the pomel was rough as a badgers behind. This is all new by me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE