5 or more different types of scat grouped together

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Looks like a badgers latrine to me. The difference is just other badgers in the same group and whatever they've been foraging over the last couple of days. They often change consistency too, some being very sloppy, while others are quite firm.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
yup badger and all ive go to say has been said mixed food for different individuals = different consistency, different colour etc

only other interesting observation that you could possibly take back to the field and have a look is that the latrine usually marks the edge of the groups territory

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
If this latrine isn't near a sett it may well be a territorial latrine. This means that it may be used by two or even more clans. Hence the different consistencies in the scat (plus the ageing of the scat of course.)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Oooh I didn't know that Pablo....... I like the idea of badgers being in clans!!!
Just out of interest what sort of distance from a sett do badgers do do and what distance would be considered a clan do do? ( doesn't have to be to the nearest inch)
Dave

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
The range can vary and it's dependent on many different factors such as other setts in the area and the availability of food. It may be a quarter of a mile radius or significantly more.

I would say to Leigh in the first post that he's stumbled on a territory marker of at least two clans. If he does a structured search he may well come across a number of different setts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE