4X4 Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
fiat panda - if she wants a car with All Wheel Drive. If she want a 4x4 ie "off roader" none from the list. That said Freeelander 1 can be easily modded to make a half decent dirt track vehicle - better than the others by a long chalk. So advice here:

http://www.freelanderclub.org/

Excellent in this weather. but like with any car 2WD or 4WD the correct tyres make all the difference.

Last edited:

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Interesting that the best options so far all come from Japan, and mostly have the Toyota badge on the front. Lets also not forget that in Oz the Toyota is the desert barge of choice, so it must to pretty well in the hot/sand as well.

To the Hi Lux owners out there; what sort of MPG do you get and how big is the boot?

Chris

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Is she actually going to use it off road? If she is then rav 4 is the best of the 3 but if it is going to be another chelsea tractor then I would say dont bother (not that I have anything against 4x4s, in-fact I own servile) , it works out cheeper and more practical to go for a large car instead.

Freelander= unreliable
Rav 4= best choice of 3
honda crv= useless 4x4 system

I think your unreliabilty of the Freelander is based on Freelander 1 not 2. As far as off road performance is concerned yes the Rav 4 is pretty good (as are most Suzukis) but Freelander is definitely best in class. This is not just my opinion, it is based on actually trials - it's part of my job.

I personally drive a 2005 Subaru Forester, not a full blown SUV but has loads of ground clearance, levelling rear suspension, locking diffs, plenty of power and handles very well in the dry. It also came out well in trials off road when tested some years ago.

Like has already been mentioned though, Defender is the only way for severe off road. If you never go off the tarmac don't bother with a 4WD. If you just want a higher driving position consider a people carrier or soft roader or one of the pretend ones (front wheel drive).

Nissan X-trail was pretty good too in the comparison trials but I have no personnal experience of it.

One vehicle that seems to be making waves at the moment is the Skoda Yeti 4x4. I have not had the opportunity to try it yet but on paper it should be pretty good.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I think your unreliabilty of the Freelander is based on Freelander 1 not 2. As far as off road performance is concerned yes the Rav 4 is pretty good (as are most Suzukis) but Freelander is definitely best in class. This is not just my opinion, it is based on actually trials - it's part of my job.

I personally drive a 2005 Subaru Forester, not a full blown SUV but has loads of ground clearance, levelling rear suspension, locking diffs, plenty of power and handles very well in the dry. It also came out well in trials off road when tested some years ago.

Like has already been mentioned though, Defender is the only way for severe off road. If you never go off the tarmac don't bother with a 4WD. If you just want a higher driving position consider a people carrier or soft roader or one of the pretend ones (front wheel drive).

Nissan X-trail was pretty good too in the comparison trials but I have no personnal experience of it.

One vehicle that seems to be making waves at the moment is the Skoda Yeti 4x4. I have not had the opportunity to try it yet but on paper it should be pretty good.

do you have a link to those off road trials you mention? I reckon they'd make some interesting reading.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
you've kinda proved my point.

My santa fe does return 40+ MPG, is comfortable and has performed in this weather. Most (diesel, for the economy) soft roaders will do that.

I did say that if the OP wants to go proper off roading then he is gonna need a proper offroad vehicle, as no soft roader will come close.
If, however, and I think we can assume this from his shortlist, he wants something that will handle poor road condidtions and still want a car like drive, within a reasonable (i.e. non range rover) budget, then a soft roader should be his choice.

The mpg is an obvious one...
Was mainly in response to 'Proper 4x4's are good if you're going off road a lot, or towing heavy loads. But they don't offer the same comfort levels'

Just clarifying that a proper 4x4 can be comfy, that's all really :rolleyes:

Tom

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
The mpg is an obvious one...
Was mainly in response to 'Proper 4x4's are good if you're going off road a lot, or towing heavy loads. But they don't offer the same comfort levels'

Just clarifying that a proper 4x4 can be comfy, that's all really :rolleyes:

Tom

yes they can, but they also tend to be above the budget of most soft roaders. From the shortlist presented by the OP, which are all of a similar price, we can deduce his budget. So I'll see your :rolleyes: and raise you a :wink

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
From that list, the Freelander is the most capable offroad vehicle, but if dependability is an issue for your lady and she is not going to take it off road seriously, then I would go for the Toyota. Like Ed says, for offroad, tyres make all the difference no matter what you are driving.

Last edited:

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
do you have a link to those off road trials you mention? I reckon they'd make some interesting reading.

Sorry Mike,
As much as I would like to share I am not allowed, more than my job is worth.
That's the joys of working for a car company where I am bound by confidentiality.:rolleyes:

There must be some automotive publications that have done off -road comparisons although I generally take them with a pinch of salt, they do make me laugh at their comments. :lmao:

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Any Mitsubishi Delica owners here?

Quite tempted, as 7 seats (or 4 and lots of boot space).

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Thanks for all your advice, I will bear it in mind. Starting to doubt my first choices now, need to look into it a bit more I think. Thanks again all.
Delbachs other half.

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
Indeed, I miss mine but have a L200 Warrior now so it's all good :)

got to agree with matt..the hilux range are very very good , felt like id lost my man bits when i sold mine ,but had to have a kiddie friendly motor so i baught a 3.2 frontera:banghead:
lee

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Not on your list, but my 11 year old Suzuki Jimny has never let me down - utterly reliable and goes anywhere.

It's pretty small though.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Any Mitsubishi Delica owners here?

Quite tempted, as 7 seats (or 4 and lots of boot space).

Wayne certainly used to have a Deli, he may well still have. You could send him a PM if he doesn't spot this. Pajero chassis and 4WD with a 7 seat body iirc. My Mazda Bongo is 2WD, but there are plenty of 4WD versions too.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I'm really surprised that cars like rav4's are rated they look... well, "hair dressery" (i know, I know - books and covers!) A colleague of mine has a Renault koleos really not sure of the point of that style of car.

Jay.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE