45L German Army Mountain Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
hi there i have had many years out of one of these packs
mine had the leather straps and was bought new
lasted years and years and years
get the folding sleep mat to slip into the pocket at the back for comfort
buy it there great

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I had one when I did the military service and hated it. Not so nice for heavier loads... But robust and waterproof base & top (at least mine was), I have to say.

ATB

Mike

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
I have one of those but the 30l+ Version - this is my actually daypack or better said EDC bag.
the bottom is made aut of PVC and the top flap is also PVC on the inside.

The bag itself is a nice peace of kit, but I would NOT recommend them for heavy loads or if you are a big person.
The shoulder straps are very very very short and so it is uncomfortable to carry.
I´m 1.80m and the bag is to small for my back.

As said above:
You need to put something in the backpart of the rucksack for stabilisation. I used for this my sitting mat.

All in all I would say that if you plan to carry less than 4kg (approx. 8 pounds) it is OK - but better you´ll spend a little more money and you get a better rucksack.
A pluspoint of this bag is, that behind the side pockets you can put down an axe or somesort similar because they are stiched at the side and not on top or bottem - so you can slip in something (but you have to fix it anywhere).

PLUS:
+sidepockets
+waterproof bottom and topflap
+space to attach something on the bag
+very cheap

MINUS:
-not for heavy loads
-small sized overall (especially the back part)
-short shoulder straps
-bad waist strap

hope this helps!
if you need further information or pics - PM me!

cheers
Mike

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
its ok for a daysack its not that big though, it has nice side pockets and you can slide an axe behind the side pockets which is handy!

I have had mine for about 2 years, i use it quite a lot when on an extended day trip or the weather is bad,. i like it. its not comfortable if you load it up as it has no frame, i padded mine with a chopped up camp mat in the interior pocket. the waist strap is to thin to be useful as it cuts in, but yeah its a reasonable pack, i prefer my sweedish canvas pack though as its more comfy and bigger and cheaper.

but i would say go for it, its a really sturdy bombproof and waterproof(ish) pack. i like mine

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
I used one of the earlier versions with the metal buckles and leather straps daily for about eight years as a school bag (a long time ago). I loved the thing and it could have easily had another eight years life in it, but as others have said, it's ideally suited to light loads.

They come in three versions:

Version 1 - mainly heavy duty cotton with metal buckles and leather straps.

Version 2 - mainly heavy duty cotton with plastic buckles (like the one pictured in your link).

Latest Version 3 - cordurra type material with plastic buckles and thiner shoulder straps. This version is much lighter than the previous two versions.

There are a lot of copies on the market, so if you buy one in new condition, check that it's genuine issue.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I have one of the later models in a cordura type fabric. It's well made, unissued and bombproof with a double base and my most used day sack.
The sack is not meant for heavy loads.
I have had it pimped up with the addition of two plce utility pouches which allows me to make light weight summer bivvy trips using my short Thermarest mat as a back pad.
The bag is in no way water proof nor does it try to be but this is easily sorted with bin liners. It weighs very little and can be floppy and have pointy bits when loaded but this is remedied with the addition of a back pad in the built in sleeve.
This bag in cordura is definitely one of the best value pieces of out door kit I own.
Happy trails...torc.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Not sure it's 45L.... I've one of these and use it for my food pack when canoeing, trangia, food/water, cups etc. Quite like it but echo what the guys are saying about heavy loads and about popping a mat in the back too. Pretty good light load day packs

Cheers,

Alan

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Not sure it's 45L.... I've one of these and use it for my food pack when canoeing, trangia, food/water, cups etc. Quite like it but echo what the guys are saying about heavy loads and about popping a mat in the back too. Pretty good light load day packs

Cheers,

Alan

Yeah the one i have isn't 45l either, more like 30l main pack and 2x 2.5l side pockets.

Good day sacks if you want something bombproof. But as said, not the comfiest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE