4000th post competition!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
its that time again! Four thousand posts- I can't keep quiet ;).

Well i think I'll let the competition run until the 1st January 2015 and then I'll announce the winner! The secret surprise prize(s) may not be posted for a while due to the hectic times. The competition is to write a few sentences describing what you think would be my perfect outdoorsy day out/ bimble would be and then whoever comes closest is the winner!

Get entered and good luck everyone!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Congratulations on reaching the 4000 mark and good on you for running another comp. Will have to get writing now!

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Grats on the 4000.

Err , where do you "put" these words?

Assuming on this thread ? ( excuse, been a loooong day , no camp fire either ! )

Pete

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Early morning, packing kit before a good fry up, then setting off to your favourite spot. Stopping here and there, to look at and photograph the different flora and fauna, and marvel at the changes since your last visit. Reaching your favourite spot and setting up your shelter, before getting out your stove, or lighting your fire, for a brew and some lunch. Relaxing for an hour or two, and practicing some skill, firelighting, wood carving, plant id, etc, etc. Then before the sun is too low in the sky, packing up and making sure you have left no trace, before the walk home.

Great competition Cameron, congratulations.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Early morning, packing kit before a good fry up, then setting off to your favourite spot. Stopping here and there, to look at and photograph the different flora and fauna, and marvel at the changes since your last visit. Reaching your favourite spot and setting up your shelter, before getting out your stove, or lighting your fire, for a brew and some lunch. Relaxing for an hour or two, and practicing some skill, firelighting, wood carving, plant id, etc, etc. Then before the sun is too low in the sky, packing up and making sure you have left no trace. before the walk home.

Great competition Cameron, congratulations.

Cheers! Very good writing mate! More entries like this an we'll have a good competition on our hands! :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Dam, Mr Kelly's been looking at my jotter Sir! that's what I was going to say!. (Though he's said it better. Good stuff Kelly, will have to have a rewrite and try to raise my game. Also have a bump for your comp Cam, I'm off to sharpen a pencil.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Awake before dawn, but there's a robin singing merrily to himself, and a blackbird chooking quietly telling him it's too early.
You're awake now though, so up and go and have a look at the world...pull on a jumper, it's chilly, and get the kettle on :)
Nose out of the door, and it's looking promising. Brew up, think about breakfast.....go for a walk around instead. Spot the rabbits, and catch a glimpse of the fox. Hear but can't quite see the deer. Realise that it's grown light and the dawn chorus is really in full orchestral mode :) think breakfast, so wander back round to the house. Get the fire going and burrow through the fridge....eggs, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, thick bread and butter, find the sauce... and another brew up.
Happy man :D
Clear up, decide you're going back out :cool:
Jacket, boots, bag, hat, camera (do you have a dog, I forgot to put the dog in the story) and off out.
It's been mild, really mild, and there's still munchies to forage. Rosehips worth a nibble, a few sodden wet and really tart brambles, wild cress, dockens, nettles too, and there are mushrooms still popping up. Stirring through the leaf litter, all kind of muted now and ready to mulch down...there's an old puffball, and it's still worth a kick to see the cloud come out and spread around :)
Get a good walk in, breath showing cold and white as you slog through the muddy overgrown bits.
Sun's starting to come up, low and sharp in the eyes, not used to the glare at this time of year.
Something bright in the dark of the wood though, so duck down and wriggle through to have a look, and it's a holly with berries :D
Cut a bit, feel good about the world, wish it all well, and head on home with a bit of Christmas cheer.

Merry Christmas Cameron :D

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lovely Toddy, I could smell the breakfast and the polish on the gear in that one, evocative stuff, going to be a hard competition this one with the entries so far.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Dam, Mr Kelly's been looking at my jotter Sir! that's what I was going to say!. (Though he's said it better. Good stuff Kelly, will have to have a rewrite and try to raise my game. Also have a bump for your comp Cam, I'm off to sharpen a pencil.

Hehe cheers Colin!:)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Awake before dawn, but there's a robin singing merrily to himself, and a blackbird chooking quietly telling him it's too early.
You're awake now though, so up and go and have a look at the world...pull on a jumper, it's chilly, and get the kettle on :)
Nose out of the door, and it's looking promising. Brew up, think about breakfast.....go for a walk around instead. Spot the rabbits, and catch a glimpse of the fox. Hear but can't quite see the deer. Realise that it's grown light and the dawn chorus is really in full orchestral mode :) think breakfast, so wander back round to the house. Get the fire going and burrow through the fridge....eggs, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, thick bread and butter, find the sauce... and another brew up.
Happy man :D
Clear up, decide you're going back out :cool:
Jacket, boots, bag, hat, camera (do you have a dog, I forgot to put the dog in the story) and off out.
It's been mild, really mild, and there's still munchies to forage. Rosehips worth a nibble, a few sodden wet and really tart brambles, wild cress, dockens, nettles too, and there are mushrooms still popping up. Stirring through the leaf litter, all kind of muted now and ready to mulch down...there's an old puffball, and it's still worth a kick to see the cloud come out and spread around :)
Get a good walk in, breath showing cold and white as you slog through the muddy overgrown bits.
Sun's starting to come up, low and sharp in the eyes, not used to the glare at this time of year.
Something bright in the dark of the wood though, so duck down and wriggle through to have a look, and it's a holly with berries :D
Cut a bit, feel good about the world, wish it all well, and head on home with a bit of Christmas cheer.

Merry Christmas Cameron :D

cheers,
Toddy

Fantastic piece of writing! Merry Christmas to you too! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE