.22 -Thats all I know.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Right, well I have been shooting shotguns since... the ice age, but have little experience with air rifles. I would like to get myself an air rifle - definately .22 not .177 (i dont want to break it!:))

As its around the 'poor season' (christmas) and its my first .22 (that I have owned) I don't really want to fork out lots of money. I would be looking in the up to £300 range. I have looked at the SMKs and thought about this one:
http://www.ronniesunshines.com/qb78-custom-rifle-p-1237.html
Only thing is that I dont want to look like a Pimp with a gold bolt!

I have been recommended to get a BSA lightening:
http://www.ronniesunshines.com/lightning-rifle-p-1240.html
But I am not sure about spending the full £300 on just the rifle (as it is my first) - I would like to get scopes' torches etc aswell.

Anyway, if you have survived my wall of text, I would appreciate your views/ other suggestions.

Regards,
Ph34r

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
BSA have had a lot of bad press for their springers lately,particularly the lightning and lightning xl.The xl is the same action but a different stock and a carbine barrel.
The problem seems to be the quality control in Spain where they are assembled.They are assembled on a production line ,when they were built in Brum they were hand built one at a time by individuals.
If you do get one ,have it stripped ,re-lubed and tuned by a gunsmith.I sent mine back to Brum and it came back a completely different rifle.
You shouldn't have to do this with a new rifle .
Personally I would look for a second hand air arms pro sport.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I'd go for a Weirach ( ? ) springer if I was looking in that price range, particularly for hunting - secondhand if poss to leave money for nice scope etc

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Ive got the BSA Supersport with scope etc and think its very good, have owned it over 10 years with no problems. Was thinking of getting the Theoben gas ram for it? That would be a lovely upgrade imo (and I think within £300).

Atb, Jon.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
There are several factors worth addressing here, and I don't necessarily want to start a calibre discussion here because, basically, my view is that if you are bias towards one calibre over another for whatever reason you will never be satisfied unless you are shooting that calibre, or unless you experience both and make an informed choice based on that experience.

I use springers and PCPs in both calibres and .177 is my mainstream in almost all cases, the main exception being shooting in and around farm buildings at closer ranges, where a hollow or flat .22 is great on rats and feral pigeons without the same potential for property damage as the .177, which can often shoot straight through and keep going at shorter ranges.

The primary issues you should really address is whether you prefer a heavier or a lighter gun. This is entirely personal and has little to do with your physical build.

Women make ideal candidates when kitting up with guns or bows, because if something is too heavy they will tell you straight away. Men do the reverse and often introduce problems as a result. The number of guys I have made longbows for who struggle to draw them is a nonsense, when they went and told you they could confortably shoot waayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more weight than they can actually handle. Guns tend to be similar in that a lot of people argue the case for a heavier gun. I don't really buy into a heavy air rifle damping recoil, on the basis that most airguns have so little recoil that the physical weight of the gun is far less important than a firm and controlled hold with good shot follow through.

I have tried heavier guns and over the years found that I shoot better over longer, more sustained sessions with a lighter rifle - I am 6' 4" and about 230 pounds, but you can keep your HW80, 97, 90 and so on. I also don't enjoy carting a heavier gun around if I am out on a long lamping session, while the lighter gun is a pleasure rather than an inconvenient chore.

If you want to buy new you could do far worse than the lighter Weihrauch guns. The HW95K and the HW99S are both very light spring powered break barrels and they fall well within your budget. They have the best (arguably) off-the-shelf trigger unit there is and if you can't shoot well with one you shouldn't be shooting at all. They can outperform the majority of shooters who will ever own one.

I have a Venom tuned .177 HW95K and it is by far the single best springer for game-getting that I have ever owned by a very long margin. Even with a scope and scope mounted lamp it is an easy weapon to carry and use over extended periods.

You also need to extend your considerations into optics: I would suggest a fixed magnification 6x40 or 8x40 scope with low mounts. Low mounts put the line of barrel and line of scope closer together and a fixed mag scope takes away the faff factor and the temptation to monkey with your kit instead of shoot with it. If you buy a 3-9x40 then crank it up to 6x and leave it there. Larger objective lenses require higher mounts making zero a little more difficult (this is marginal, to be fair) but the larger objective lens scopes can introduce the potential for greater parallax. Basically there isn't much you can't do in the field with a good 6x40, 8x40 or a 3-9x40 (if left cranked up to 6x). A fixed 4x40 is OK but a 6x or 8x40 is much, much better in most conditions apart from extremely low light.

Steer clear of parallax adjusting scopes until you are putting supper on the table and consistently putting in 10 shots within a 10 penny piece out to 30 - 35 yards. There's no sense in paying more for a scope that you have to monkey with instead of just shooting with the darn thing, and my view is that you shouldn't rely on a scope for judging distance - this is such a vital part of airgun shooting and if you can't learn to judge your distances out to 30 - 35 yards or so then, again, you shouldn't be shooting.

No matter what kit you buy, practice, practice, and practice some more.

Accuracy is obviously key to successful airgun shooting and I always try and practice more where I am weakest (standing shots) and less where I am strongest (kneeling).

You don't need to break the bank but you do have to ask some very telling questions of yourself to give yourself the very best chance right out of the blocks.

Some time ago I went to a local gunshop on a mission to buy a new (and very expensive) PCP air rifle. After shouldering said gun I knew on the first attempt it wasn't going to work out and I ended up buying a much lighter, far less expensive model that felt very comfortable in the shoulder from the outset - it was a little Air Arms S200. Aside from the financial difference (in my favour) I can knock nails in with that little gun - some folks have raised an eyebrow when they see someone of my size and shape using it, but I couldn't give a fig about that - the results I enjoy are a great indicator that I made the right choice...

I'd spend some time at your local gunshop and shoulder a few rifles within your price bracket and go from there. I've spent fortunes over the years buying on recommendation or reputation (or both) but I enjoy my shooting far more and have better results by going my own way.

Have a think, then think a bit more, before making your move.

Good luck with it - I hope you get as much out of your airgun shooting as I have had :)

I'll get my coat...

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
i've shot a lightning and it may have been that particular one but it had the recoil of a canon!! i agree with with the lighter hw's like the 95 and 99.if you want a true desert island gun forget pcp go for a hw.i would go for a .22 hit a bunny in the head and its goodnight bugs.i.ve seen them still run after a .177 hit to the skull.but the 97 comes from the 77 which rocked the early ft and hft world.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Just to expand on what has already been noted, it is worth considering the point of balance of the gun as well as weight, and this is why neither of the guns I mentioned were under-levers. I have nothing against them in general use, but while it is true to say the the HW97 (and its HW77 predecessor) are both stunning performers, their point of balance is completely different to the break barrel guns, even if you ignore the lighter models I mentioned and choose to compare similar weight break barrels. As you can imagine it is impossible to have all the additional metalwork of the under-lever without it impacting on the gun's overall point of balance and while they aren't necessarily 'top heavy' they are significantly different to a break barrel.

The main reason I suggested break barrel is that they are simpler guns overall to use and maintain, they are (usually) lighter, easier to operate and with the coming winter months that last point will really come into its own. If you have large and/or cold and/or wet fingers you might find the loading port of the under-lever a faff while the break barrels have, by comparison, loads of room for loading.

That said I know a lot of my mates who happily use the 97K and the 77K all year round and they love them. My 77K is a fair weather gun, purely because in cold or wet weather my fingers really struggle with the loading port. The only underlever I use in cold weather is my ancient BSA Goldstar, but that is purely because I can keep my gloves on at all times thanks to its 10 shot rotating magazine :)

Don't think for a moment I am blaming the the under-lever guns at all - this is my issue with the gun under certain operating conditions and not the guns problem, but it does lend weight to the argument to carefully consider your options and try the various guns in your shoulder AND get your head around the cocking and loading process before taking the plunge. The whole user experience has to mesh - if you are fighting with the gun in any way it isn't right for you, or you aren't right for it :)

The other rationale behind the break barrel is that you mentioned a long history of shotgunning. Most shotgunners find that they take to the break barrel a little easier than an under-lever for obvious reasons, but at the end of the day you get used to whatever you choose given the time and practice.

Since you live in Oxfordshire you have quite a few gun shops where you can take a sneaky peaky at the various possibilities within your budget, and then you can either keep your eyes open for something suitable on the second-hand market or jump in feet first with a brand new outfit: Banbury Gunsmiths, William Powell, Adenbourne Field Sports, Elworthy Sporting, Francis Lovel & Co Ltd, and Otmoors Airguns and Accessories (vast range stocked and dedicated to air guns) to name but a few.

Let us know how you get along :)

Last edited:

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
i agree with some of the above,i'm a biggish chap so lugging around a heavier rifle is easier.i find the underlevers with the extra wieght on the barrel have less muzzel flip.
find a club near you and try a many as you can get your grubby hands on.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Lots of good advice there. Cant go wrong with a HW springer, especially in a farm/bushcraft environment. You will be more accurate with a PCP to start out with but if tyou stick with a springer it will make you a better shooter, IHO.

never seem to hear much on the hw57 i think its a stunner
They are nice guns but a bit light for most people; good for kids & the ladies though.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Thanks to all - especially Xunil. I never knew there were so many gun shops in oxfordshire - that will save a mile or two :) The reason I was drifting more towards .22 is that I used to shoot .22 in my old school team (and would hopefully be slightly more 'used' to it).

Im sure that £39 over my budget is acceptable - but I might go and see if I can have a play down at a gun shop soon and see if I like the feel of anything.

Thanks,
Ph34r

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
One last thought, I have recently bought a new Lightning xl, and I have had no problems with it. Admittedly I am new to all forms of shooting but the rifle fealt right as soon as I shouldered it in the shop. I have not experienced any of the horror stories that I had heard about this particular model of gun.
I suppose it's just down to what you like the feel of.

Cheers, Alan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE