2012 Arctic Courses. <<>> Discussion thread. <<>>

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'd add some "gäddsaxar", which is basically a nasty trap for fish. RM is shown using them in one of his shows. Traditionally the thing for fishing under the ice, unless one wants to sit and wait.

koukku2k.jpg

I forgot to ask by the way, what is the best way to bait these things.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
koukku2k.jpg

I forgot to ask by the way, what is the best way to bait these things.

Small bait fish is what I've used, but any bait that is solid enought to put on the fairly large bottom hook is fine. And of course "very, very carefully"; they are quite powerfull, and will mess your hand up if you let them. I've seen people unhook the spring when baiting them.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
We're getting close to the point that we could do with a bit more information about logistics for planning.

For example:

Are we sourcing water from a river or lake source, which may need purifying, or are we melting snow for all of it?

What kind of arrangements do we need to make for sanitation? (Is there going to be a latrine area or are we bagging and carrying?)

What sort of ratio is there between activity and stationary tutorials? (Makes a big difference to keeping warm.)

Will there be equipment available for processing firewood or do we need to bring such items between ourselves. (Splitting axe, wedges, bowsaw etc.)

Would it be useful to bring a couple of bars for the fire or will something like this be available on site?

Holme

Mar 10, 2010
Sweden
Small bait fish is what I've used, but any bait that is solid enought to put on the fairly large bottom hook is fine. And of course "very, very carefully"; they are quite powerfull, and will mess your hand up if you let them. I've seen people unhook the spring when baiting them.

As I am shure my fellow countryman "Forestwalker" is aware of, the use of "gäddsaxar" is allowed to use only by professional fishermen (as in having a a professional fishing license, issued by the national fishery agency) or by the direct owner of the fishing rights.

Further, it is a real nasty and in my opinion, highly unethical way of fishing. Nothing that anyone that take pride in a "leave- no trace" policy would consider.

Now, i believe you all are going to Norway. I don´t know the legal status of gäddsaxar over there, but I suggest you check it out before bringing and using them.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
As I am shure my fellow countryman "Forestwalker" is aware of, the use of "gäddsaxar" is allowed to use only by professional fishermen (as in having a a professional fishing license, issued by the national fishery agency) or by the direct owner of the fishing rights.

Further, it is a real nasty and in my opinion, highly unethical way of fishing. Nothing that anyone that take pride in a "leave- no trace" policy would consider.

Now, i believe you all are going to Norway. I don´t know the legal status of gäddsaxar over there, but I suggest you check it out before bringing and using them.

Thats some pertinent info Holme, thanks for sharing.

Whether they are nastier than a big treble hook is not certain in my mind. Less fish are lost with them, and as a fish that gets away from a hook has already had its mouth damaged, possibly trailing line and a treble too, they may actually be less nasty to a fish than a traditional hook and line in lots of situations. A fish in the pot is suffering far less than the one that got away.

E

Elements

Hey folks
Just been following this for a while now.

I travel & work across the globe, its my job and will actually be in Norway working at a similar time to you folks, so may even see you on a plane!

In the subject of stoves, i travel every where with my MSR Dragonfly. As long as you have aired it and cleaned out the fuel bottle prior to flying I have never had a problem, even with US customs!! I always take along its little repair kit, but need to use it seldom and it boils water about 4 times quicker than a meths stove, such as a trangia. Plus its way safer when kicked by clumsy cold feet!

Only downside is you need to position it on a thin round or piece of bark when using it. First time i used it in arctic Norway 13 years ago, it sank a fair way as it melted in to the snow pack!! Luckily all was fine, but a lesson well worth sharing i think.

Have a wonderful time, stay hydrated, eat lots of warm carbs + fats and love every minute

Rob

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Good to know my old Dragonfly should be OK. I just bought a little maintenance kit for it and will be taking a field repair set as well.

I stumbled onto a aluminum frame pack and immediately loved it. I can see it being used for hunting trips, hauling all sorts of loads like water and wood. I am getting a drybag or some other bag to go with it and am bringing it on our little trip to Norway. It weighs 1900 grams so it won't be the lightest of packs but I am going for sturdy and versatile (and cool of course :cool:)

fjallraven_firebrigade.jpeg

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Re- the weight of packs, a question for you 'frequent fliers' out there. Is it possible to pay extra with most airlines and take the weight limit up a bit ?
It is going to be hard to stay under the usual limit.
I managed it on the last trip, but the Advanced requirers more gear !
Cheers.
Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE