2 week postal strike!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
"The Communication Workers’ Union have served notice to Royal Mail of their intention to carry out a series of 24 hour strikes over a two-week period beginning at 7pm on Wednesday 25 July and ending at 12 noon on Wednesday 8th August."

Will 2007 be the summer of floods... and postal chaos?

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
mean time it stinks i have my farthers funeral and estate to sort and there is thing's that you need to actually need to send snail mail. i agree they have issues but it can cause so much artache.:cussing:

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
"The Communication Workers’ Union have served notice to Royal Mail of their intention to carry out a series of 24 hour strikes over a two-week period beginning at 7pm on Wednesday 25 July and ending at 12 noon on Wednesday 8th August."

Will 2007 be the summer of floods... and postal chaos?

It's not for two weeks, it' two day's in a two week period.

Week 1, 19.00 Friday 27th July until 19.00 Saturday 28th July 2007

Week 2, 03.00 Thursday 2nd August until 03.00 Friday 3rd August 2007

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
It's not for two weeks, it' two day's in a two week period.
Week 1, 19.00 Friday 27th July until 19.00 Saturday 28th July 2007
Week 2, 03.00 Thursday 2nd August until 03.00 Friday 3rd August 2007

Thanks for pointing that out! Let's hope there will not be any noticeable delays with only two days of strike. More generally, I'm with Eds, I do think this will just accelerate viable alternatives to the PO. The key is alternatives for ordinary punters - not too many which are accessible in my neck of the woods, but hopefully this will change.

Chris

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Add to that the interest and fuel rate rises, along with floods and postal strikes. The summer not of miscontent but abect misery!

Oh, it's not like we've got rolling blackouts and a national three-day week...

I've been a postie. My Ma was a postie for about 20 years. The management are dreadful.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
OK, so what are the alternatives to the PO for general mail?

There aren't any. Yet. At least not for stamped mail. But don't strikes mean there will be more demand for them, or at least more suspicion about the incumbent provider's ability to deliver a decent service? And in a now de-regulated market isn't that risky? Nothing is going to change very quickly, but I bet the politicians regard these strikes as an opportunity to push for licenses to be issued to competitors to run ordinary stamp mail within a few years, probably through your local corner shop or grocer, next to the lottery counter. Chris

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Royal Mail have the monopoly, and they feel secure in that. Shoddy service and crap customer care doesn't seem to bother them too much, and i seem to recall them saying they needed a few billion to upgrade their systems or something not too long back. I take it they get backing of the Crown or something hence the Royal in their name. Do they get subsidised or something aswell?

I'd like to see it go wrong for them, and a better service to grow instead. It makes me mad when people who work to provide a service to the public go on strike. The firemen wound me right up. I thought that was absolutely ridiculous and dangerous, but hats off to the ones who left the pickett line when they realised they really were needed. Imagine if the Police went on strike!:eek:

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
well im on the post and they say im 25% over payed 40% under worked.they want me to start 90 min later so they wont have to pay me for early starts and freez pay rises so cuting my pay by 25% now tell me not to strike.do you think we want to the mail is still there when we go back to work still has to be deliverd = more work for me and a days less pay.all the other mail companys just want the big business like amozon etc not jo blogs mail only royal mail are left at the end to sort that out so there will never be any other post men on the streets because TNT, City link, business post all the other mail companys send their mail to royal mail to deliver.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
It seems that the posties are losing out with what Faff said, and the customer is losing out if the posties strike! What to do? It seems that the managment are to blame (surprise surprise) so why not support the posties against their managment, by all means, have strikes, if it makes a difference, do something spectacular for the media, it seems to work for the French. They have tremendous strikes over there and they get what they want!

At the end of the day, it always seems to be the management and politicians that win and the workeres and customers who lose out. Revolution anyone?:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE