2 person ridge tent with no poles??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
i've just managed to collar a 2 person tent off freecycle and the woman at the other end said it was an older type tent and it didn't need the use of poles. has anyone heard or have seen such a tent?
i can't wait until morning to collect it and see what it looks like :lmao:

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I've seen a couple of tents that utilise walking poles as the supports to save extra weight or rely on suspending the tent from trees etc. Can't think of any off the top of my head though.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Maybe the little blue pill ? Can't think of a way that it'll stay up without poles unless it's really a tarp :D
The forum DEMANDS photo's of this miracle invention :lmao:

p.s is there a list of forbidden word's on the forum? can't use the V word on the above :rolleyes:

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Sickboy said:
Maybe the little blue pill ? Can't think of a way that it'll stay up without poles unless it's really a tarp :D
The forum DEMANDS photo's of this miracle invention :lmao:

p.s is there a list of forbidden word's on the forum? can't use the V word on the above :rolleyes:

'v' word Sickboy?

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Blacks used to do an ultralightweight jobby that had a 2 section front pole an a single section rear pole,with no ridge connecting the front and rear.the 3 small bits of pole all telescoped into each other.IIRC it was the Paklite model.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
bikething said:
probably relates to the 'little blue pill' ;)

DOH! lol - I'm thinking some matrix reference, blue pill and all that but poles and making tents, something us guys have been doing since junior school :lmao: sorry :eek:

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
:banghead: well it's late i suppose!
Normally when a word's banned or such like you get a starring effect across the word once you press the submit section, but not in this case, you get a white screen with FORBIDDEN, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO POST HERE, on it, seem's a little harsh :slap:

How did you come by this mistery tent again b-d-m? I'll assume from the name that it was free, and after all free's free :)
Maybe it just doesnt need ridge poles as mentioned above, had a saunders jetpacker (probably still in my dad's loft) years ago, very light for the time but not very spacious inside for 2 and kit......

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
freecycle is a website sickboy - where you pass on (free) no longer needed items - a bit like our "paying it forward" threads on here (which I'm going to have to do a couple more of soon)

I suspect the tent has no ridge pole rather than no poles at all.

I recall a tent with a ridge rope in "Swallows and Amazons" and Rock pockets instead of pegs too. You should be so lucky!

Red

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
not in this case, you get a white screen with FORBIDDEN, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO POST HERE, on it, seem's a little harsh

picked up by the Forum software to prevent Spam regarding erectile problems I would imagine.

Ridge tent without a ridge? should be interesting..

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
big_daddy_merc said:
i've just managed to collar a 2 person tent off freecycle and the woman at the other end said it was an older type tent and it didn't need the use of poles. has anyone heard or have seen such a tent?
i can't wait until morning to collect it and see what it looks like :lmao:

Aye.
Go-Lite do a few, and if IRRC Hilleberg does one too .. question though if it's one of these ;)

Anyway a Go-Lite pic, ande the URL:
http://www.golite.com/product/productdetail.aspx?p=SH6012&s=1

SH6012_40_front.jpg

I know, in the pic it got poles :rolleyes: But you're supposed to use walking poles or stuff you find out in the woods, etc.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
well had it just under an hour, it went up in under 10 minutes in fairly gusty wind, it's a CARAVAN KAIPAK 3, and it does have pole just no ridge pole, must admit even if it wasn't free i think i would have still bought this, it a cracking little tent

ABCD0006.jpg

ABCD0005-1.jpg

ABCD0007.jpg

ABCD0008.jpg

it's not the smallest of pack sizes but it doesn't weigh much, it's got plenty of room for 2 + kit.
from what i can see i could use my walking poles so could possibly fit into the bottom of my pack, i'll check when i take it down

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
matt-w said:
Nice one BDM, a real bargain. So are you going to use it in anger soon? Let us know how it fares :)
i'm hoping so, i'm trying to talk a few mates into going over night down the road from me, one is really up for it the others are keen but not sure yet.
if i convince them to go i'll post up some pics and if anyone around the chesterfield area wants to join us your more than welcome :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
ACTUALLY I remember a cycling tent that did have NO POLES AT ALL!
You draped the porch over the cross bar of your bike and pegged it out, effectively you got a "wedge tent" and I think that it was only one man.....
John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE