1st 'proper scrat' since June!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I was out and about for a proper ‘scrat’ today, for the first time in ages, just Molly (the spaniel) and me.

I decided to take myself down towards the river, as We’ve not been down there, since June 17th and I was keen to see what I could forage in the way of materials.

I began; by collecting some good quality, thick (by UK standards) birch bark, from a long dead but still upright tree, I keep an eye on, away in the ‘thick’. The tree has played host to a family of woodpeckers every year, for the last 4 years that I know of, but the top 4 foot x 8” section (with their hole in it) had fallen off, probably in the recent gales, so I decided to harvest the bark from this bit on the ground.

Another, nearby ‘dead standing’ tree is host to some splendid polypores of about 8”-12” across, but these are too high to get at.

I never take bark from living trees, other than the very thin papery stuff, which peels off every year. I also don’t remove bark from dead standing trees either, preferring to wait till they drop, before harvesting the bark. I believe this allows the tree to stand for much longer, making it possible for the likes of woodpeckers etc to make a home in a high, safe location.

Anyway, I moved on, down toward the river and passed a long ago, toppled Ash:

PB220023.jpg

It’s been in this location for at least 11 years and though the original upper bits are rotting now, the main stems are sprouting away merrily, every year:

PB220016.jpg

When I looked a little closer, I found an added bonus:

PB220017copycrsmpbaslls2.jpg

In the form of ‘King Alfreds Cakes’ or ‘Cramp Balls’ These make superb tinder or rather, ember extenders and I gathered a conservative pocket full, for demonstration purposes, next year.
PB220022copycrampball1.jpg

I carried on toward the river and checked out a few Hazels, that we coppiced last autumn;
PB220026.jpg

The shoots are about 4-5 foot in length at the moment but only about pencil thick. Another couple of years will see them getting toward a useful size.
There are several other Hazels, we have coppiced over the last few years, which are ready for harvesting this year. As well as numerous others, of up to 3-4 inch diameter, which could do with coppicing too, if only to offer stick makers a decent free supply in the future!

There are a few ‘project’ ideas which I have in mind for the thicker Hazel, mainly involving splitting it down and making wicker or wattle fencing, but I’ll need a major hand getting that off the ground!.

You can get folk to come along and hack the stuff down, but then dragging it 2 miles, back to ‘base’ is a logistics problem requiring either a cart or a van!

I may yet see if I can get the Ranger interested and that way we would be able to get the use of the FC Transit pickup or LandRover.

Anyone interested in a bit of coppicing and fencing, next Feb/March? If so; just let me know, and I’ll ‘start the wheels a turning’

Anyway, we made it to the river but it was too high to let Molly go in, although she was mad keen to get amongst it.

We made our way home, a bit tired but happy to have been out for a proper scrat!

Cheers

R.B.

Last edited:

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Anyone interested in a bit of coppicing and fencing, next Feb/March? If so; just let me know, and I’ll ‘start the wheels a turning

Not sure what that entails but I'm in Newcastle and if it's likely to help the environment, I'm keen to learn, so if you're prepared to show and teach me what I need to do, I'm happy to lend a hand on some of my days off :)

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Not sure what that entails but I'm in Newcastle and if it's likely to help the environment, I'm keen to learn, so if you're prepared to show and teach me what I need to do, I'm happy to lend a hand on some of my days off :)

Ok, so I couldn't sleep and got up to find out what coppicing was all about. I'm in if you could use me :)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Cheers Mark:)

And well done Dee;)

I'll be catching up with Leanne Shipley, the ranger for Chopwell, over the next few days and I'll see about sorting out the details and transport etc.

What I have in mind, is sorting out as many of the older hazels as I can find in the wood, that are within reasonable reach of the various tracks.

We can use the wood; for wattle fencing, bigger bits for carving practice, all the 'tops' can be bundled into faggots for fire wood and of course, there should be plenty of decent stick blanks too.

The more folk I can con.......er.........get interested:naughty: the better and easier the job will be.

I reckon we'll probably end up doing a day of coppicing, followed later, by a day of processing and fencing etc.

anyone interested please do let me know.

I'll post futher details as and when i get them sorted;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE