1972 land rover lightweight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Thanks folks for the nice words, it's on it's original chassis that i repaired before galvanising, probably 99% of the metalwork on it has been galved, i want it to last, even the wheel rims have been done! Nothing worse that restoring a truck, for it to then rust away again.
It's probably one of the oldest series 3 lightweights left, number 19 made back in may 1972.

Good Man! I too have a 1972 Lightweight- Chassis number 8! I would have run away screaming from that example though- you are a brave chap- well done! Would have been a crime to let that be scrapped, so you have done the world a service! Where did you get the bulkhead from?

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
When I saw the first pics I really did think it was a light weight... so many holes and missing metal!!;)

But you sure did a good and thorough job on this one! many happy miles with it!

ghound

Nov 10, 2012
doagh
Good Man! I too have a 1972 Lightweight- Chassis number 8! I would have run away screaming from that example though- you are a brave chap- well done! Would have been a crime to let that be scrapped, so you have done the world a service! Where did you get the bulkhead from?

Hi, thanks everyone for the pos comments.
Chassis no 8 is the earliest i have heard of, worth good money nowadays as well.
I had trouble finding a decent bulkhead, so i made a new one. I now make a few batches over the year and sell them to other's in need. I restore / galvanise the vent panels as well.

2011-08-15074743.jpg

2011-08-15074631.jpg

17062011186.jpg

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Hi, thanks everyone for the pos comments.
Chassis no 8 is the earliest i have heard of, worth good money nowadays as well.
I had trouble finding a decent bulkhead, so i made a new one. I now make a few batches over the year and sell them to other's in need. I restore / galvanise the vent panels as well.

17062011186.jpg

mmm shiney shiney! Mine is solid all round- with the exception of the vent panel which is in a shocking state. I have a spare vent panel with is 90% ok, but still needs work done to it, which I haven't got round to yet! One day!

I could sit and look at your vent panel all day...... ! (now there's a euphemism for you.)

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
That is totally fantastic, we restore classics at work mercedes and porsche etc, but I really fancied doing a off roader for myself! classic range or land rover!

What have you painted the chassis in, I am about to do the underneath of my G-wagen for the winter, I looked at a few products, terotex wax and ditrinol, but I would appreciate a recomendation from someone who has decent experince with 4x4's

Once again this looks a bloody good job!

ghound

Nov 10, 2012
doagh
johnny, the chassis on this has been galvanised, etched primed then a coat of bitumen black. Though i only painted the sides and top of the chassis to make it look standard from afar, it's still bright silver underneath.
I have never used any of the product's you mention but i hear they work well, but you have to get into every nook and cranny for them to be effective, and some are better applied hot so they can run around inside the chassis.

Lord poncho, here's a few before and after pics of a customers 2a vent panel i repaired recently.

ventpanel022.jpg

ventpanel024.jpg

ventpanel006.jpg

2aventpanel002.jpg

2aventpanel001.jpg

2aventpanel007.jpg

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
johnny, the chassis on this has been galvanised, etched primed then a coat of bitumen black. Though i only painted the sides and top of the chassis to make it look standard from afar, it's still bright silver underneath.
I have never used any of the product's you mention but i hear they work well, but you have to get into every nook and cranny for them to be effective, and some are better applied hot so they can run around inside the chassis.

Lord poncho, here's a few before and after pics of a customers 2a vent panel i repaired recently.

very very nice, well done! Not having access to welding equipment, i was thinking to go the low tech route, rubbing down with wire wool (or a wire bush on a drill) to remove all of the rust (assuming my replacement panel isn't that bad once i get the paint off), before using a bit of body filler, cover the whole lot with red oxide paint, then finish off in Nato green. No where near the rolls royce job that you achieve, but do you think it would work? Is there a supposed limit to the size of hole that you can use filler on?

ghound

Nov 10, 2012
doagh
90% of the panels i buy or restore for others are full of filler along the bottom. If your worried about MOT then just strip the truck down, you can MOT it without the front window and vent panel, doors, roof and rear tub sides on it!!!

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Been there, done that. I did a Series 3 Lightweight and added a higher ratio transfer box and a lead free head.

landy.bmp.jpg

landy1.bmp.jpg

landy2.bmp.jpg

landy3.bmp.jpg

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Am I a heretic? I've always loved both the looks and philosophy of the early landies - particularly the lightweight. But I always come to a shuddering halt when it comes to the engines. Oh good grief, are there any worse engines than the early landie ones?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Great work there, keep the updates coming please.

Am I a heretic? I've always loved both the looks and philosophy of the early landies - particularly the lightweight. But I always come to a shuddering halt when it comes to the engines. Oh good grief, are there any worse engines than the early landie ones?

Nope i agree Andy, they're terrible terrible cars, unreliable, uncomfortable, terrible mpg, no mechanical grip on road, but still enough grip to show up the brakes which are even worse.
The interior layout from the "throw switched as the dash and we'll fit them where they land" design club, try winding your window down while driving :lmao:
Dangerous on motorways due to it's instability and lack of top speed, in fact dangerous pretty much anywhere, add to that pretty much the worse driving experience this side of balancing a tea tray on the top of a pregnant water buffalo, on ice on a boat in rough seas.
They're not even THAT good off-road as stock compared to modern equivalents.

They're certainly a buy where your heart doesn't just override your mind it pretty much puts it into a coma.

But then if you speak to most folks they think that spending the night in a cold dark forest is insanity as well, so we all have our own little "land rover" type things, sometimes logic and common sense just needs to take a back seat in favour of doing something you love.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE