15 or less challenge- very pic heavy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
You have my vote for the top! Nice culinary touch (bonus points for happy morale) with the little leaf on the pasta!
:You_Rock_

Gordy

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
...that said, I have no idea how you had a good nights sleep.

it was a suprise to myself, i just lay down on the ground, moved some stones around and i fell asleep, and i normally struggle to get asleep whilst out, first night was a little chilly as i was wet from the walk in but i was comfortable, not too cold but not warm if you get me :p second night i had a lovely sleep and was too hot before dropping off, but chilly in the morning:)

Great post Ben, too much "roughing it" for my liking though :)

Cheers mate, had a surprising nice time out, on the walk in i had the 'what am i getting into' thought but on the way out i was glad with the choice i made :) may actually try it again sometime but with my knife- even when not used i miss it :lmao:

Last edited:

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I loved reading that blog. The frying pan idea is great. I don't think I could intentionally go out over night without a blanket or sleeping bag to wrap me up in though. I would have been worried about the water level rising during the night and ending up waking up floating down the stream.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I loved reading that blog. The frying pan idea is great. I don't think I could intentionally go out over night without a blanket or sleeping bag to wrap me up in though. I would have been worried about the water level rising during the night and ending up waking up floating down the stream.

Cheers mate :) I had the same thought before going to sleep, but it was risk getting wet or go out in the heavy rain, with the thunder and lightening to look for a better place :p If the water level had rised i think it would of rised slowly so i had time to get up and go :)

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
great post and well done.

but doing it this way relies on the luck of the draw of whats been thrown away/dumped but someone.
whereas taking the very basics of what you need without finding rubbish could be seen as purer and more what a native tribe might do?

just opening the thought process here :)

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
great post and well done.

but doing it this way relies on the luck of the draw of whats been thrown away/dumped but someone.
whereas taking the very basics of what you need without finding rubbish could be seen as purer and more what a native tribe might do?

just opening the thought process here :)

I agree, but couldnt think how to put it. Ben has showed how knoweldge can help you survive in the wild. But I think there is a difference between camping for for fun and surviving for a few days and nights.

i put a lot of thought into what i carry and why and rarely go out over equipped but always have what i need so i dont have to chance what i find.

To me bushcraft is not finding something thrown away by other and making a use out of it, its going out out with the skill and knowelde to get back to nature and enjoy a back to basic life and using what nature provivided to enjoy yourself.

still a good read and well done for going out with your 2 items your a braver man than me lol

Last edited:

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I think had this been a '48 hours having lost your bug out bag' contest then I'd say you did extremely well. I'm not sure that recycling litter into cooking/water containers is in the spirit of bushcrafting though.

Sorry, but there you have it. I would like to see more craft skills in use.

Al

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Surely it's just about getting out how ever you want and enjoying what's there, who are we to say what is and what isn't "Bushcraft"? get out , enjoy the world and do it with respect for it and others.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
To add, Beenn's post has Fire craft, plant id, animal id, camp craft, recycling, making water safe to drink, He even used a shard of glass as a knife and a leaf as a plate.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Very good as survival,if your life depended on it,but to many risk's for me to do as a post for a forum,
1, boiling stream water,does'nt get rid of pesticdes,or heavy metals etc in it.
2,boiling it in a plastic coated beer tin,
3,then putting it into a found plastic drinks bottle,thats not sterile,
4,frying bacon on a plastic lined beer tin,
like i said enjoyed reading it,and very good for a survival situation,but to many risky things for a old softy like me
would need to watch out for weils as well sleeping in there,and drinking for them bottles.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I see that Andy has already beaten me to it with some of what could be said, but as a parent, I'd be pretty furious if one my sons came back and produced images showing using litter to cook and drink from and then cited this forum as condoning such activities.

As for firecraft, sorry Ben, but had you binned the lighter and taken a knife to fashion a drill I would hold you 48 hours in a far better light.

Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE