12 years in employment.....need i say more!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
The care sector is always in need of staff - I do relief work for Mencap...which basically means that I work when they cannot find permanent staff - I find I get enough to keep me happy, I can always claim that I am busy to refuse unpleasant shifts and I can say "no" if I want to any work that clashes with fun :)
The training is easy and useful in other walks of life - manual handling, first aid, food hygine etc
If you want permanent work there it is - unsocial hours, night work, rubbish pay but a worthwhile job that benifits real people not some mindless multinational.

Only go into care work if it's want you to do it, for no other reason at all. Refusing unpleasant shifts or if it clashes with some fun is not the way to approach care work, especially with learning disabilities or mental health. The patients you work with will not grasp the fact that you are doing it because the training is easy, the pays alright and it suits. They may well think it something they have done as to why you don't come back. It can have consequences.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Only go into care work if it's want you to do it, for no other reason at all. Refusing unpleasant shifts or if it clashes with some fun is not the way to approach care work, especially with learning disabilities or mental health. The patients you work with will not grasp the fact that you are doing it because the training is easy, the pays alright and it suits. They may well think it something they have done as to why you don't come back. It can have consequences.
Having been in this line of work for over 5 years as a relief support worker for Mencap : it is work that I feel is worthwhile, rewarding and a job I like.
The guys I support seem genuinely pleased to see me when there is work for me and we have a lot of good times.
Relief support work may not be everyones idea of a career but it fills a much needed lack of realy permanent support, benifits those needing support, is available to those in need of work and demands no dificult to aquire skills
The shifts I turn down tend to be overnighters as I have many commitments - mainly with charity work and especially my church and weekends when I have comitted to a Bushy do before the work was offered.
The only ones to suffer if I refuse to do a particular shift are other support staff who have to cover that shift :)
Sometimes I get no work for months on end, then things go crazy as a "permanent" support worker leaves for better paying work. It is the permanent staff who leave that can cause upsets ...they understand that relief staff apear and then disapear, only to reapear again! With a staff of about a dozen the only staff that seem to form particularly strong bonds with individuals are the Key workers, though all the residents of the houses I have done relief work have reasonably strong bonds with all their support staff.
Any period of time spent with those using support workers is an education for a worker and in my mind it would be better for someone needing support to have continuity of support BUT relief workers play an important role in that the "permanent" staff tend not to be all that permant.
In the time I have done relief work somewhere about 10 permanent staff have come and permanently gone!

Relief work may not be the ideal career for everyone and even if you only do it until you find a job more suited to your life plan it is an education for you, benifits those needing support, can bring you in a small income (the pay is not brilliant!), looks good on a CV - and may lead to a new and rewarding career after all!
Refusing the oportunity to do support work because you think that it may not be for you in the long term and that those you support MIGHT not understand that support work is a job and that people move on denies you an education in reality and an oportunity to experience the rewards that being a support worker can bring as well as actually improving the lot of the user of support and easing some of the burden of the permanent staff who often work outrageous hours over their contract just to ensure their charges have a good level of support! Not having enough workers in the sector can have severe concequences for those needing support!
If you want worthwhile work - try an area in the job market that is screaming out for workers...the support/care sector!

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
John, that post is very different to the other one, which rather suggested an easy come, easy go, if it fits in I'll do it, it's easy money kind of attitude. Before you turned down "unpleasant" shifts, now you have explained you turn down the ones that clash with your charity work or previous commitments. It's all fine.

However, I don't like the idea of people taking a job in care because there are loads about, and someone is stuck for something to do. The idea that support work is something you do to fill in leads to this kind of crap.

To lay my cards on the table, I am a psychiatric nurse, and I train other nurses in tricky things like Safeguarding, Consent and Mental Capacity Issues. As well as the really easy ones like manual handling, food hygiene and 1st Aid.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
Oh, by the way. I'm really not trying to fall out with the locals within 20 posts, but I have had to deal with a lot of crappy care in the past, and it is very distressing.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I never meant to imply that support work is for those who are intent on doing harm or do not care about their charges - just that if you want to work there is work out there that desparately needs doing :)Perhaps my first post was too brief... I think we are both interested in those needing care/support getting the care/support they need in both quality and quantity :)
I agree that there is bad "care" out there - but if more decent people took up the jobs then the quality of care would have to improve.
I have seen understaffed homes (not where I work) where the staff are so overworked that they cannot keep motivated and although the care hours are filled the quality of the care is poor and as staff morale tumbles then even more staff leave increasing the pressure on those who stay - a viscious circle.
From what I have seen the lot of someone using support becomes much better if those who are doing the supporting have the time, energy and committment to fulfill the role.
Relief workers can help spread the load - even if for only a short while - but what is realy needed is more permanant staff across the country, to give top quality care :)
New career anyone?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE