£10 knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
Hi im mike,and im 30 going on 13 :lmao:
Dad went to a car boot sale on Sunday and bought me this knife,its about 10" with a carry pouch and on the front of the pouch there is a small stone for shapening.Amazing? :eek: YES

;) http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf02490ef.jpg ;)

But !! Not as amazing as this

:eek: http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf02535rr.jpg :eek:

It has a compass under the butt of the handle(with waterproof seal) :D
It has 3 matches and strike paper :D
It has 3 needles and thread and safety pin :D
And it has fishing line and hook in there :D

Cant believe what an absolute bargain it is.

Just thought id brag about my new toy :D

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
This is all new to me,its ok for you, who have probably been using knifes for years,Sorry for posting.......feel a bit ridiculed there guys :eek:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
SoloBoy said:
Dad went to a car boot sale on Sunday and bought me this knife,its about 10" with a carry pouch and on the front of the pouch there is a small stone for shapening.Amazing? :eek: YES

Just thought id brag about my new toy :D
Soloboy,

Where did you find a Dad who would buy you a knife? Mine buys presents that err well its the thought that counts :D . Now the only problem with that...is that I am probably older than your Dad ;)

Now that said, Dad's need to be educated! Do you know the best knife for £10? Its a Frost Mora (or a Clipper - same company). Nowhere near as fancy as yours, just a plain, simple knife, carbon steel blade but perfect for Bushcraft (which is why almost every Bushcraft school issues them as essential equipment). This isn't saying that theres anything wrong with yours...it'll probably do a lot - a heck of a lot for a tenner! But the Frost Mora is a GREAT knife for the money.

Tell you what ...heres a deal...you send me a private message with your address. I'll send you a Frosts knife for free (shaving sharp as sharpened by me) and you try feathering a stick for a fire, batoning through a log and other Bushy tasks and publish a review of the two - no pressure, if yours is better - thats cool - say so. Either way you get a free knife!

Oh, no offense here, but can you stick something in the PM that either says you are over 18 (or if not, something from your Dad that gives me his name with an "over 18" declaration and I'll send the knife to him and he can pass it on- its the law and all that).

Also, the guy who wrote that "what knife" article for Ludlows site is a complete idiot (trust me, I know, I was there when I wrote it :sad6: )

Red

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Sorry mate, maybe we were a bit harsh :)

I've actually owned one of those knives before and loved it at the time because it had all that fancy kit in the handle. But the first time I used it properly it broke.
I was stripping bark from a branch and hit a knot, the tip of the blade caught up and it snapped clean off of the handle :(
That's not something you want happening when you're talking about a tool with a sharp edge.

I got mine for £15 and that was 11 years ago when I was 14. So £10 is probably still a (comparitively) good price for the knife - only the knife isn't actually all that good itself.

Don't worry about it. I've bought more cr*p knives than I care to think about.
And I think, if we're honest, we've all done it at some point.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Hey, don't take it to heart, I'm sure they didn't mean to make you feel small. We all buy things in fits of enthusiasm that we sometimes later realize with more experience might not have been such a good idea. 10 quid's not going to break the bank to see what it's like, and we can't all afford to spend hundreds on knives.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hey Soloboy,

Sorry mate, don't take it to heart, we have all been there, and if you had our years now you will have missed all the fun of learning, we have all bought kit that others have had a laugh at, but we learn from that and move on, that as they say is life!

My recommendation is that you buy the best that you can afford, if it is worth saving for then save, these guys have kit that I would choke at if I bought it, but as the years progress you will get better kit and pass your old stuff to someone else just starting off.

One of my first sleeping bags was an old army 58 pattern, now I have one costing over £130, and that is now classed as old.

So please don't take it to heart, these guys will guide you.

why not check out my web pages, there are some tips there for new starters.

All the best.

Ludlowsurvivors

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Folks,

Well I never guessed you would all be flying over to my site so quickly, I hope you found something of use over there.

If you have any suggestions on new content why not drop me a mail.

LS

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
SoloBoy said:
This is all new to me,its ok for you, who have probably been using knifes for years,Sorry for posting.......feel a bit ridiculed there guys :eek:

Matey listen, if everyone was honest then I'd guess most of us have bought or somehow owned one of these things in our bushcraft career....especially those of us old enough to have been teens and early twenties when Rambo first came out.

I suspect most didn't mean to take the micky out of you but rather were just cringing when they thought about how they'd once been when they first set out bushcrafting all those years ago :)

I'm dead impressed your dad brought you a knife though...10 out of 10 for Pops!

All the best,

Bam. :D

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
Great thanks guys,youve all restored my faith in human nature again. Just been speaking to my dad,who is 50,im 30.And he said I didnt want to fall out with anybody :( especially A bunch of guys with Knives :D LOL.

Cant wait to get out there and learn,first thing im going to do is start stripping the bark from a branch and hit a knot,but i will be wearing safety goggles :lmao:

I dont really understand the true quality of a good knife yet,because of lack of experience.That hopefully will change with a little help ;)
I lived with my dad for 3 years a while back and all we used to do was watch RM on telly,never really tried much hands on stuff then,but lately I cant get enough.Recently ive tapped my first tree,made wine from the sap,made friction fire with a bow drill,searched and found and ate Pignuts,And been told ive got a crap knife :D its ok i know its pooh :D Honest though its down to RM for the inspiration but down to this forum for the ability.

Had a look here LS www.ludlowsurvivors.com ,and, if I had seen this first I definately would not have started this thread mate :) top read,particuarly the hollow handle bit :)

All the best

Mike

Tobies Sack

Mar 14, 2006
West Lancs
Ha ha you've all been bammed. Mike you have a wicked sense of human. Now come on lad, action man needs his knife back the kids are starting to cry.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Soloboy,

Thanks for taking a look at the website, you and about 20 others did it at the same time, made my night!

I think your name has thrown a few people, they think you are a lot younger than you are :)

We all learn the hard way at times.

LS

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Soloboy, If I were you, I would take British Red up on his very generous offer of the Frosts knife (For which he has just earned himself some good rep points from me).
By all means, use the knife you have for the time being, but be aware that it has an inherrant weakness and is probably made of pretty poor steel so won't take or hold a good edge. A blunt knife is more dangerous than a sharp one, it slips from the work and into you far easier than a sharp blade, and you'll find it harder to use too.

The guys didn't mean to be too harsh about your new toy, it's just that so many of us have seen/used/bought these things in the past only to realise all too soon that they are far from all they are cracked up to be. The Ludlow Survivors guy (Who just happened to have one of these knives he could photograph for his article... Think about it...) who wrote the knife review article had obviously not done his research either. There IS a hollow handled knife other than the Cold Steel that I think I would trust to never break, but as it's made by none other than Chris Reeves (of Sebenza fame) it's somewhat out out reach financially for most of us mere mortals....

http://www.chrisreeve.com/onepiece.htm

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
There are more expensive Woodlore's knocking around! Surprisingly enough my first CR is the saw backed bowie with a hollow handle, bought in the mid eighties... It saw me through two Lofty wiseman courses though (although he did regard it as a combat knife :) ). The smaller one is more practical but the larger one is quite rare and I'm loathe to part with it.

Mark

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
SoloBoy said:
I dont really understand the true quality of a good knife yet,because of lack of experience.

I would not be too concerned. A few short weeks hanging out on the internet and you can join the ranks of the experts. ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hoodoo said:
I would not be too concerned. A few short weeks hanging out on the internet and you can join the ranks of the experts. ;)

Says the man with an Avatar full of sharps! :lmao:

Oh, hang on, having seen Hoodoos Nessmuk axe in the avatar I am waiting Lee Reeves to finish making one for me.

Medic we have a man here who seems to have shot himself in the foot!!! :eek: :eek:

Red

(Soloboy, I have got as far as packing the Frosts - hope to get it to the post office this PM)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE