‘The Ridgeway’ long distance path

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 28, 2012
devon
A little trip report on trekking the 'ridgeway' long distance path

http://www.theoutdoorlab.com/2012/10/the-ridgeway-long-distance-path-and.html

IMG_2551psV2.jpg

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
I've done this on "me mountain bike"
I started from Pewsey, I went along the "wansdike" Then down into Avesbury, from there along the Ridgeway.
What a fantastic part of the country, stone circles, hill fort's, burial mounds, not to mention "The" white horse.
I took 3 days & I stopped of at all the prehistoric site's.
One danger spot to watch out for though, the camp site in the garden of the pub, it makes your head hurt for some reason.:rolleyes:

Anzia

Nomad
Sep 25, 2012
Derbyshire
Sounds like a really interesting route. How long did you allow for the whole thing, nadrift? Nice pics by the way :)

Jan 28, 2012
devon
Thanks both, we did it in 5 days which was pretty good as we were averaging about 20 miles a day. I could have probably done with a rest day in the middle just to recover a bit. So I would suggest giving it 7 days so you can also take everything in a long the way

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
One time I did the section from Streatley to Avebury overnight. 6pm at Streatley Late afternoon at Avebury, not sure of exact time. Took my time on other occasions as it is a great walk. Used to stay on the original Ridgeway but the new route over Smeathe's Ridge is very good. Hate off-road vehicles and tractors that cut up the wonderful turf. Always wild camped. Lack of water was one of the things making it a challenge but I thought that some standpipes had been installed.
Lived a few miles to the south of the Ridgeway for many years.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
One time I did the section from Streatley to Avebury overnight. 6pm at Streatley Late afternoon at Avebury, not sure of exact time. Took my time on other occasions as it is a great walk. Used to stay on the original Ridgeway but the new route over Smeathe's Ridge is very good. Hate off-road vehicles and tractors that cut up the wonderful turf. Always wild camped. Lack of water was one of the things making it a challenge but I thought that some standpipes had been installed.
Lived a few miles to the south of the Ridgeway for many years.

sadly the standpipes and taps on troughs are being removed to prevent longterm hedgemonkey settlements from springing up!

did the http://ridgeway40.org.uk/ walk earlier this year, tis a delightful patch through southern england.

cheers, and.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Brought back happy memories of having done this from Avebury to Goring. Not much has changed it seems. The water problem bedevils many of these paths- I found the same on the South Downs Way.

I found the link to your site very interesting and well worth re-visiting. Thank you.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I am usually with RAYNET running comms for the Ridgeway40 every year, it is a good day out even when it rains.

If you are there again look me up. Just ask for callsign MØICM.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE