What idiot invented micropore?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So as some of you know, I recently attempted to improve my Frodo impersonation using a ladder, a metal frame and a fast drop with a finger wrapped around the ladder. Unfortunately attempts to control infection are not going well (after the first two courses of antibiotics didn't work, someone thought to take a swab and work out what infection they were dealing with - genius).

Anyway, leaving aside the minor rant (and moving on to a major one), what pillock invented micropore tape? Its rubbish. It has the structural integrity of a wet tissue in a towel flicking contest. . The old zinc oxide (pink sticky plaster) did rip all the hairs out of you - but at least it stuck. The modern ecopore is kind of "ripstop" and works. But micropore is as much use as a chocolate teapot. So if someone needs to wear a dressing are we supposed to retire to a chaise longue and draw a hand across our fevered brow in case the micropore gets mildly damp?

What idiot dreams this rubbish up and why is it doled out by the NHS when better options exist more cheaply?

Grrrrrrr

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I wish that the NHS here would use less aggressive tape after my blood tests, the tape they use looks like micropore tape, but has all the strength and bikini waxing ability of duct tape. I have actually thought of asking where they get it from so I can use it in my FAK and general repair kit. I hope you heal up soon.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Breathable dude....aids healing and not festering....allows the wound to scab. too much adhesive inhibits the permeable nature of it, and generally is worn under a bandage of some sort, with the zinc oxide tape you mention holding it down....Its a 2 layer system that tends to work well.... quit whining :D

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Breathable dude....aids healing and not festering....allows the wound to scab. too much adhesive inhibits the permeable nature of it, and generally is worn under a bandage of some sort, with the zinc oxide tape you mention holding it down....Its a 2 layer system that tends to work well.... quit whining :D

Its s*** Mark. It falls apart as soon as you actually get off your **** into a world of work (as agreed by a doctor and a surgeon) - once swapped for ecopore, problem solved, dressing in place. Its rubbish. I am grumpy and therefore right.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
problem with the overly sticky stuff is it tends to open up wounds when you remove it... the less adhesive stuff comes off easier and preserves the scabbing, thus reducing healing time and scarring :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Stitches are out - just keeping the residual wound covered whilst working (and preventing the topical antibiotic rubbing off). I have to say primapore dessings work okay (sort of self adhesive melolin). Its just micropore. It couldn't stick a submariner to a free bar.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Stitches are out - just keeping the residual wound covered whilst working (and preventing the topical antibiotic rubbing off). I have to say primapore dessings work okay (sort of self adhesive melolin). Its just micropore. It couldn't stick a submariner to a free bar.

Try telling that to my wife Hugh, and she'll show you the wounds where her skin has come off with the micropore used to stick down the cotton balls they use when having to give blood samples.

But then again her skin tears and bruises so easily looking at her arms you'd think she'd been fighting :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Its just micropore. It couldn't stick a submariner to a free bar.

Try telling that to my wife Hugh, and she'll show you the wounds where her skin has come off with the micropore used to stick down the cotton balls they use when having to give blood samples.......

I suspect it might not be the micropore as such that's the problem. Possibly different generic equivalents, of varying quality, used according to what vendor supplied them?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
What Corso said, transpore is a much better medical tape all round than micropore, it sticks and holds nearly as well as electrical tape but has the added bonus of being "breathable", so you don't rot underneath the stuff quite so quickly. Micropore tape is fine as long as you're laying sedated in a hospital bed, for actual real world applications it's rubbish.

This is the stuff Hugh http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_823vwncm1p_e

Cheers,

Stuart.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thank you gentlemen. I suppose, now that frustration has subsided, I can see the advantage of low adhesion tape for wounds in hospital and to avoid tearing them open - kind of like low adhesion masking tape to avoid ripping paintwork.

I'll get plenty of the good stuff - thanks Corso and Stu (and sorry to everyone else hurt by tape :))

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They've eliminated the nastiest hospital acquired stuff thankfully. I think the last lot has it under control - got to keep using a topical one for three weeks now.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Micropore has to the be filthiest stuff imaginable. Everything sticks to it, from fuzz to general grubbiness.....and it still hurts when I pull it off. It doesn't break me out in a wet itchy rash the way that zinc oxide does though.

Melolin (or alternatives) taped on with ordinary elastoplasts work far better if you have busy hands.

Hope the infection clears quickly; nothing worse than hands out of use :(

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE