Tarp has let me down...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Went for a night in the woods last night, and it lashed it down all night. My tarp leaked along the centre seam and i got soaked. So....

Im after a new tarp! Fancied a Aussie Hootchie but at £90 on Ray Mears's website they can take a hike! What a rip off!

I have been eyeing up the DD Tarps, but the olive green ones are out of stock. I have seen the DD "MC" Tarp, but not sure about the colour. Does anyone have one? Does this blend in well to a deciduous wood in the summer?

I have seen plenty of websites selling the british army basha, but was hoping to get a slightly bigger tarp, as these are typically 2.6 x 1.8 metres.

Anyone have any other tarp recommendations?

cheers

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
True North Big tarp or Auguille Alpine expedition tarp. Not cheap, but unlike the hoochie they are worth every penny. DD is ok, but not as good quality as above but they ain't as expensive either. If I hadn't got the True North tarp I'd be going for the Auguille Alpine one.

Last edited:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
AS the leakage was along the seam, I would suggest that you first seam seal it. Use silicone caulk thinned down ca. 3:1 with mineral spirits and paint/smear onto the seam. Or buy a seam sealer from your nearest outdoors store. You will probably find that you won't need to spend a fortune on a new tarp.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
An even bigger +1 for trying seam sealer first. The homebrew stuff works a treat or commercial seam sealer if that works out more convenient for you. Oddly enough, not all manufacturers seal the ridge, instead leaving it to 'customer preference'.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
both my DD's have been fine in the rain from new the 3x3 and the original 4x4, my new (to bought from JD) exped tarp is I feel perfect for me with a hammock being around three meters long, and 2.8m wide, I wish I hadn't got rid of my issue basha as it's a good solid thing, all these were dry as a bone underneath in heavy downpours.

Hope that helps.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
My humble DD 3x3 took a serious lashing on its first outing... 9 hours of pouring rain.

Not a single drop of water on the inside in the morning, I thought that's what tarps where supposed to do!

al.

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
I love my 3x4.5m DD XL. You can get 2 people with gear in a totally enclosed tent-style configuration with loads of room to spare. For one person its like being in a marquee. 1kg and £30-40.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
You can get 2 people with gear in a totally enclosed tent-style configuration with loads of room to spare.

I'd be interested to see the way you rig the tarp for 'a totally enclosed tent-style configuration'. I have a way to do it with the True North Big Tarp but have never seen anyone one else using the set-up. Just wondered if there is a better way.

Tatonka TC2 tarp around 45 quid on amazon uk ...... weighs 1167 grams (no stuff bag, no lines... yes it comes with stuffbag and lines... didn't use these though...)

Quite a good alternative if you fancy a polycotton tarp.

Sold my DD 3x3 and got the Tatonka or use my Jacks R Better 8x8 (foot) silnylon above my hammock or on the ground for a lightweight option....)

All that said, the DD is a good buy....

Grtz Johan

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Mcnetts seam sealer will cost about £5.

Got to be worth a try and a damned site cheaper than buying a new tarp (unless of course the leaky tarp is a good excuse to buy a new one anyway without getting your ears bent for buying new kit)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Quite pricey, I can recommend the Hilleberg UL range, very light and surprisingly tough.

Some pics here at this German shop, but you can pick them up in the UK too.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE