Tablet weaving bushmoot 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I shall be teaching this ancient and very portable type of weaving again this year.

My beginners course teaches students to make a simple decorative wrist strap in a double-faced weave (patterned on both sides). The strength of the weave runs along the length of the strap, making it suitable for dog leads, guitar straps et c. I have to charge £10 for the course to cover the cost of the tablets, which students get to keep (ensuring you can finish your weave and go on to make more!!). I also have some cardboard tablets this year identical to these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lacis-Card-Weaving-Cards-Pkg/dp/B0055E7B6W I'll happily give those to students who want to give them a go. They have a lot more flex in them than the cards I use, so not quite so easy for beginners.
11701084_10153365082960049_9164552970078664107_n.jpg-PAXP-deijE.gif

-PAXP-deijE.gif

I have been thinking about how to help people who have already done my course take their skills a little further. Last year, several students attempted the Viking "Ram's horn" design:
d44e11259d0307e4f5267dd652ce81f1.jpg
This proved to be very challenging, but for confident students, I shall bring the pattern again and the daring amongst you are welcome to have a go. For people wanting to take smaller steps, we can do some work on weaving your own designs, starting by writing a word, such as a name, on a wrist band. I have written some course material to support this and make it easier to understand what you are doing. Please bring your tablets if you want to have a go.

I'm juggling teaching with childcare this year, and won't know until nearer the time when I'll be available. Watch the board at the moot for tablet weaving if you fancy giving it a go! Please could you post something or message me if you're interested to give me an idea of total numbers. I print off course materials and laminate them, so it's good to know how many I'll need to do.

Looking forwards to seeing you all at the moot soon :)

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I'd love to have a go.

If you can scan in the cards with the dimensions written on them, I can probably cut some out of plastic on the laser cutter if you tell me how thick they should be... I think I've got some 2mm plastic if you think that's thin enough. Or I can cut from card/wood...

I'd like to have a go at the rams horn as well!

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Hi Tim, welcome to have a go :) Also welcome to try making some for yourself:

It actually doesn't matter what size you make the cards, what is important is:
When you have a pack of the cards, they should fit nicely in your hand. e.g. about 2" square. You can make smaller ones for e.g. silk work, but bigger is easier for beginners!
There should be one hole near each corner, as close to the corner as you can manage without compromising the strength of the cards. e.g. 1cm 90 degrees from edge to hole center, hole 0.5 cm diameter. You could also add a hole in the center of the card.
Hole should be large enough to easily thread wool/cotton through with your fingers.
2 mm thick would probably be fine, welcome to try it with plastic. (Or card, or wood). For this weave, you need to be able to hold 12 cards in a hand and be able to manipulate them, so you can go quite thick. However, some weaves require a lot more cards and it starts getting very difficult to manage if the cards are too large/thick.
You need at least 12 cards.
The holes should all line up perfectly if you stack the cards on top of each other.
ALL edges, corners et.c. should be smoothed off so there are no sharp edges or corners.
The cards should be sturdy and not too flexible. You can make tablets out of cardboard (e.g. playing cards) but these wear out and the holes can stretch while weaving (which can be difficult to deal with, especially if you're just starting out).

tablet.jpg

See you soon!

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
ooo that sounds exciting! I've always wanted to try tablet weaving but never got around to it. or rather, it seemed like one of those complicated things that are best to learn from someone rather than figure it out from a book. :) will keep an eye out for it

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I've been looking at that specific complicated weave and I agree, not an easy looking weave needing lots of cards. I'll have a go, currently started rebuilding the laser last night. Shouldn't take long so might order some supplies and do them next week.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
ooo that sounds exciting! I've always wanted to try tablet weaving but never got around to it. or rather, it seemed like one of those complicated things that are best to learn from someone rather than figure it out from a book. :) will keep an eye out for it
Lovely, I'll make sure I have some beginner course materials with me and look forwards to meeting you.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Laser = currently not working. Turns out my laser is the arkward kind. So I've got to rewire the entire thing. Happy days. If I do get to finish it this week then good stuff, otherwise I have no idea if I'll have a set for the moot. Fingers crossed!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE