Medlars

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mel

Nov 13, 2003
West Sussex
www.wilderness121.co.uk
Tried medlars for the first time this week. It's a bit strange eating a fruit after it has started to go rotten but they were delicious, a bit like a boozy fruit cake.

I was lucky enough to be given them by someone who works as a gardener at a large estate but have no idea where to look for them in the wild or even if they grow wild. Does anybody know where they are likey to be?

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Mel said:
Tried medlars for the first time this week. It's a bit strange eating a fruit after it has started to go rotten but they were delicious, a bit like a boozy fruit cake.

I was lucky enough to be given them by someone who works as a gardener at a large estate but have no idea where to look for them in the wild or even if they grow wild. Does anybody know where they are likey to be?

You find them on Medlar trees....

I may be wrong, but I've read that you should only pick them after the first frosts have hit them, by which time all the leaves have probably goe. So if you see a leafless tree with some medlars on it (and since you've eaten some, you know what they look like), you know you've found your medlar tree...

The wood from the medlar tree is one of those traditionally used to make the Basque "makila" trail stick.

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE