1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

longevity of First Field Dressings

Discussion in 'Hygiene and First Aid / Medicinal' started by Man of Tanith, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Man of Tanith

Mod

Potton, Bedfordshire or alternatively my own happy
    As long as the wrapper hasn't been tampered with and its still sealed and sterile do they self destruct?
    or are they good to use until whenever i may need them?

2. kiltedpict

kiltedpict Native

Most of these items should have an expiry date, after which they are not guaranteed sterile. If there's no such date (it will be identified with an hour glass symbol or EXP: ) then the contents are usually considered sterile unless packaging damaged or open.

KP

3. santaman2000

santaman2000 M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

Most of the ones I've seen have a statement on the packaging sayin, "Sterility guarenteed as long as the seal is unbroken" or something to that effect.

That said, I suspect if you're referring to adhesive bandages, then the adhesive itself may be subject to deterioration. I really don't know though. I've got some ban-aids (plasters) over 10 or 15 years old that I still use.

4. Man of Tanith

Mod

5. Retired Member southey

Retired Member southey M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)

look on the side with the English instructions Sam, bottom right Hour glass and sterile exp date should be around there,

6. Retired Member southey

Ah dont worry, you might get a replacement soon:rolleyes:

7. Man of Tanith

Mod

in the mythical box o bits?
    cool

but the question still stands

8. Retired Member southey

The simple answer is that no one will say that it will be good after the expiry date, and if they do they are liars mate, it could be great for decades, it could become dodgy the day after, its your call:)

9. ex-member BareThrills

id take an out of date one over bleeding out any day :)

10. Man of Tanith

Mod

This is what lead me to ask as my old manager was ex army medic and said they used old stuff all the time

11. Retired Member southey

And that was his call and his look out:)

12. Man of Tanith

Mod

yup that is the truth
    always like to check before i do something

13. santaman2000

Yours must be different then. As stated, all ours say sterility guarenteed unless seal is broken. If it has an expiration date, I'd replace it.

14. BoonDoc

BoonDoc Forager

Let's face the facts. Manufacturers are out to make money. They are happy if you bin your out of date kit. I have FFDs that were issued to me 20 years ago that are still in my kit. They will work fine for topical applications.

There is good research out there that says even medications can be used out of date.

15. rik_uk3

rik_uk3 Banned

If a dressing has a coating as in sticky plasters they .... don't stick, field dressings so long as intact should not give a problem. There was some American research on dates used on drugs which showed many lasted years after the sell by/use by and IIRC dressings were mentioned to much the same result. I've got the full report in .PDF format if I can find the blooming thing.

16. FGYT

FGYT Maker

sterile is irrelevant you can only apply a sterile dressing in an operating theater that is clean

if you have a major artery pumping blood to the outside you need to stop it and anything will do even the dog bed in the boot of the car
    the hospital will sort out any infection later.

FFD are just a lump of cloth that absorbs so if the cover is intact it should be good to go Ive got some about that i got in cadets in the 80's that where old then when issued

ATB

Duncan

17. Retired Member southey

I don't think its do with the point of application more to do with staying bug free leading up to it being used, bouncing around in your pack, or in a cupboard,

18. 11binf

11binf New Member

hi folks i have always wondered this aswell... i've got 20 or 30 ww2 vintage British shell dressings ,first field dressings, U.S. carlile Battle dressings (in a tin can and in foil wrap) and a lot of the newer British "Joint Services" field dressings from the 1970's...i have opened a few from each of the lot and have found they are as good as the day they were made...mind you none of the outer fabric/rubber covers were ripped or torn and the case apppeared air tight ...on the other hand i have had a lot of U.S. made "troop individual ,field dressings" wrapped in a green plastic wrapper, that i have opened and used for training just to find the tails and gauze pad were dry-rotted and will pull apart when the dressings are applied ...i think for the most part the "out of date,use by date" issue is a legal one so the company who made the product wont get sued if the product fails after the due date...this is what we live with in a sue happy modern world...to this day i still use and carry the above dressings in my Jeep and my out-door kit...vince g. 11B Infantry....

19. santaman2000

I suspect that when you opened the WWII dresiings you might have spoiled a collector's item worth quite a bit had it been left unopened.

20. The Lord Poncho

I've always been told to ignore expiry dates on field dressings (both cvilian and military), and any time one needs to be applied in anger to a major wound, the poor individual will very soon be pumped full of antibiotics anyhow.