knives with bearing blocks? what next?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
ive recently noticed alot of "survival" knives are being made with a small divot in the handle, the intention of this divot is for use with a bow drill set. now for a survival knife i personaly cant see anything that is more likley to cut your life short than this, imagine holding the bladed article as you would a bearing block and then bowing away, suddenly the spindle slips out and the knife slices into your leg. not too good.

here is an example of such a knife http://www.eseeknives.com/rc-5.htm

let me know your thoughts.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
i know a lot of guys in the States who have done this for years, they mod mora's to include a lined divot in the handle, most of them, not all i hasten to add, use the knife in the sheath, personally, id rather have a seperate bearing block.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
here you go

[video=youtube;u_Uu0Fs33Ro]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Uu0Fs33Ro&feature=ch annel_video_title[/video]

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Aside from the divot, the knife looks pretty serviceable. I would use the knife as is and improvise a bearing block.
I once had a SAK with a tin opener on it, never used that either.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Aside from the divot, the knife looks pretty serviceable. I would use the knife as is and improvise a bearing block.
I once had a SAK with a tin opener on it, never used that either.

I've found that to be the handiest attachement on my SAK especially when I've forgotten my can opener :rolleyes:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I don't personally get it, other than a marketing ploy that's caught on from an idea...

It only takes one person to try it minus sheath. Which it will :p

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
it's a gimmick to sell more "survival" knives. Not really all the great an idea and could be hazardous.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I dont think its really that dangerous, but i also dont like the idea really. Ive used a bit of hard close grained wood for the block and that works just fine

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I don't see what's wrong with it personally. Just use your sheath when you use it. Just more functionality.

Going by this rationale, you could complain when they sharpen the knife properly at the factory because if used improperly it has a big sharp bit with the capacity to harm you. Being persnickety obviously, but same kind of logic IMO.

Yeah the reasons behind adding it to blade probably sway more to the side of selling products than actual functionality, but hey, it's an added feature that does have logic behind it. By the looks of it I'm alone in this opinion though.. :cool:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I don't get it at all. If you've got your knife and are seriously going to use bow drill to make a fire it seems stupid not to make your own bearing block.

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
I think its a good idea for a survival knife, if your tired or wounded, not much energy, why wast any more energy on making some think you all ready have, it might seem dangers but so is crossing the road if your not paying attention, like the idea also of the glass breaker on the end of knife in top video, lets not forget this is a "survival knife" and as such like many knives has its purpose in life. I would like to see more multi functional knifes like the one i have in my tin the tool logic sl3=Removable Magnesium Alloy Fire steel with light - Emergency Whistle in knife Handle put a compass lanyard on it and what more do you need, Oh yer a bearing block hole LOL

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
If you are in to friction firelighting/want to have a go occasionally I don't see the problem in having a (almost) frictionless bearing as part of your kit - I seem to recall someone using barnacle shells for that. EDIT errr I mean Limpet shells!!!!

Main issue seems to be where is the best/most convenient place to keep the frictionless bearing in such a way that you could use it without further preparation.

?Apart from a knife handlewhat other places might be better/more convenient?

Fixed (in some way I can't think of) to your belt/sheath is the only alternative I can come up with.

Last edited:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
ive recently noticed alot of "survival" knives are being made with a small divot in the handle, the intention of this divot is for use with a bow drill set. now for a survival knife i personaly cant see anything that is more likley to cut your life short than this, imagine holding the bladed article as you would a bearing block and then bowing away, suddenly the spindle slips out and the knife slices into your leg. not too good.

here is an example of such a knife http://www.eseeknives.com/rc-5.htm

let me know your thoughts.

yeah, as has already been mentioned, you can keep the sheath on for this application, but actually, if you try it, you'll find that your fears are unfounded. when was the last time you SMASHED! a rock or a wooden bearing block into your leg because your drill went ping off across the patio? oh yeah, never....

also, it really does work a treat.

the esee5 is an excellent knife btw. it's heavy, closer to a billhook than a mora knife.

cheers, and.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
If this system is used sensibly with the knife in the sheath I dont see a problem in the context of the knife design.

It may not be a design I would choose.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just edited my earlier post to say limpet shells rather than barnacle shells - think you would have to be using matchsticks as a fire drill if you were using barnacle shells!!:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE