Gransfors queries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Having just read the section of Mors Kochanski's book on choosing a good axe, I had a closer look at my GB SFA. I found that the edge doesn't align with the centre of the knob when sighting down the helve from the head, it sits just inside the right hand edge. This appears to be caused by the edge running slightly out of paralell with the helve rather than the head not being fitted centrally.
He does however go on to mention that cutting can sometimes be improved if the head is slightly offset 'to the right side'. This made me wonder whether the alignment of my SFA head and knob is deliberate and therefore common or just a 'Friday afternoon' model (in addition, the grain on the knob runs diagonally across rather than vertically as I gather it should, ideally speaking).
I then dug out an old handmade hatchet that I was given years ago and remarkably the head lined up with the knob in exactly the same way as the SFA.
Is this a common practice, or am I just really unlucky with axes??
I do love the SFA, though and it’s a great user, being particularly well balanced during single-handed tasks such as carving.
Any thoughts/ comparisons appreciated.

Straight and inline is what is wanted - but it only really matters if you exchange hands to chop from left and right. If you just chop one way it won't make any real difference. I bet with a little sharpening with a big sanding pad that all will line up much better.
I bet that you've mistaken the grinding lines on the handle for wood grain, as I doubt very much if GB would put out an axe with horizontal grain. Remember that prime hickory has very curved grain (comes from smaller trees) so that can trick a person.
Only cheaper handles made from BIG trees can have straight grain like this:
iltisgrain.jpg

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Everyone rushes to check their gransfors. I had a look at mine after reading Mors book and it seemed to be pretty much how he described.

Bill

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Forgot to say, I don't think gransfors have 'friday afternoon' work because the smith has to stamp his initials on the axe therefore ensuring his colleuges will royally take the p*ss if he produces some old crap.

Bill

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Thank you all for responding.
First off....huge embarrassment :roll: I kept referring to the butt end of the handle or 'knob' as the poll...doh!
It sounds as though you all kind of understood what I meant though despite my best efforts to confuse.
I only wish I could have posted my pics, that would have made things easier:guess I'm gonna have to shell out for a subscription after all :shock:
Just to summarize the correction, when sighting down the blade from toe to heel and onto the knob, the blade sits just inside the right hand side of the knob, not centrally.
Thanks again

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
just looking at mine and its the same, it runs slightly to the right.

ive never had any probs with it though

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Leon said:
I only wish I could have posted my pics, that would have made things easier:guess I'm gonna have to shell out for a subscription after all :shock:

with you defo should support BCUK and subscribe if you can..

IIRC you can still post your pics.. though you need to host them else where like www.photobucket.com or somewhere like it! then just insurt the URL!

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
I think I may have sorted the pics:

Thanks tomtom, I did a search and found a recommendation for Yoxio: was registering as you posted :biggthump

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
is this off center bussiness going to make much difference enless your carveing with the thing or trying to split hairs?

what does mors say it results in?

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Questions I'm hoping to find an answer to, tomtom. Mors doesn't mention consequences on this point. Its mentioned in the context of what to look for when choosing an axe.
It would seem reasonable that a small deviation, as mentioned by OldJimbo, perhaps won't make too much of a difference.
In theory though, it must be easier to impart a strong accurate blow if everything is perfectly lined up.
I am still curious as to why a slight deviation in the right direction may work better for some people however.
Following on from what tenbears said, I guess the fact that Gransfors allow these out of their factory suggests no practical hinderance to normal usage (assuming gb's and mine aren't the only ones, of course).

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
are you right handed leon?

is it possible this is a result of use.. surly the force of impact is partly absorbed by the handle.. could this cause a shift?

It's remarkable how few poor ones slip through at GB - and who cares because they do stand behind their warranty. Poor though - means axes that are tempered too hard or soft.

There's always going to be variation in handle grain and alignment - it's the nature of putting together axes. A perfect axe is a thing of beauty, but I surely doubt that many would need an axe to be perfect. I just put together an axe where everything lines up - but the section of wood that fits through the eye was machined offset. I wedged it anyway because you have to see how a thing works out. Chances are it'll be great! If it isn't Ok, then the handle was lost anyway, and I'll simply fit another. But I will learn something in the process...
I wouldn't advise using a handle with horizontal grain, other than premium hickory which won't simply break in two. I did though, and that lasted for well over a decade and did more than most people would expect of an axe.

To quit my rambling - that hatchet has just fair grain, but given the wide eye size on GB hatchets I sure wouldn't worry! If you have to worry about something, then worry about outlasting the hatchet, because the grain alignment like that will make the hatchet stronger in sideways prying. The mis-alignment is within acceptable limits for a hatchet, too. It could actually work better for you if you're right handed.

Now I bet that the more literary will be astounded at my taking this point of view because we all know that vertical grain and good alignment are vital. The bad news is that nothing is sure in life...
splithandle.jpg

Yep good alignment and vertical grain as you can see! The important part with the big axe was that the handle didn't break in such a way that the head went flying. The heavier and longer the axe, the more important the grain. In a 36" curvy handled axe, the amount of continuous grain that runs from eye to butt is about the thickness of a thumb. That's one reason for straight handles on big logging axes, and extreme care in choosing grain. In a hatchet you mainly choose it for prettiness. The only real exception is with tiny eyed hatchets like the Vaughan.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Hi Leon.

Like everyone else has said, I wouldn't worry to much and just to put your mind at rest, I have just checked all of the axes that we have in stock from the Mini GB to their throwing axes and from a Wetterlings Wild Life axe to the Wetterlings monster of a Splitting axe.

There has been much talk of how GB's axes are perfectly aligned, well I can categorically say that there are not. 50% of the GB's were off centre and 50% of the Wetterlings were off centre and this has always been my experience. But for the record.........all of the billhooks are perfect!!! :naughty:

It really comes down to how you use an hand tool like an axe, you could have a perfectly aligned axe and you could swing it all day and make perfect cuts and then give it to me and I could make a pigs ear out of it, we are all built differently and have different levels of strength. To me, it is more important to know how to handle a powerful edge tool like an axe then it is to worry about the alignment being out by a degree or two!! :eek:):

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
My Leuku is well centered too!! :eek:):

The blade (bit) of an axe being off centre isnt really a problem - the centralising of the bit is more a 'for the general public' adaptation and as such aimed at proving a tool anybody can pick up and use. If you look at hand made axes used by carpenters ect you will often find them off set as this allows the left/right handed workman to better control his tool.

Having said all that my GB is bang on centre but if it wasnt I wouldnt worry as I have used it for many years and its never let me down - point being if your comfortable and safe with it why worry overly!

With all the talking I've done with the special orders dept at Lee Valley Tools in Canada - I'd say that Jack is spot on with his 50%. The thing to remember, though, is that the ones not pefectly centred are still within specs. That's a huge contrast with hardware store axes or even logging store axes. I've had to look over dozens to find one that was actually usable.
Both GB and Wetterling are super deals when you consider what you get for the money.

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
tomtom said:
are you right handed leon?

is it possible this is a result of use.. surly the force of impact is partly absorbed by the handle.. could this cause a shift?

Thanks for the thought; I am right handed but the axe has only seen light carving duties so far. I've been using a medium size Fiskars for a couple of years and must confess that it still gets a call up for the less glamorous jobs.
Upon reading the comments of others, it seems more likely that I have happily stumbled across one of the specially modified right-hand 'tuned' models :wink: just lucky I guess :eek:): : or at least thats how i'm going to look at it from now on.
Thanks to everyone for helping to answer my questions and for putting my mind at ease.
Jack,
I was considering a bill hook; shame they're all perfectly in line though... now I'm used to custom off set blades an' all that :naughty:

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
[Jack,
I was considering a bill hook; shame they're all perfectly in line though... now I'm used to custom off set blades an' all that]

Leon, you know that hooks are the future but did you know that the hook came before man, in fact, man has evolved around the billhook............why do you think we have hands like we do.........they have evolved to be able to grip the hook handle, not to hang from trees :shock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE