cheap ration packs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
It's just as easy to make up your own very cheaply from readily available supermarket stocks and they're probably a bit tastier too. Having said that I do miss 'biscuits brown' and bacon grill.....mmmmmm:approve:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You can get bacon grill in Lidls!
I love the stuff - much to my annoyance as I theoretically like Organic, ethically raised, whole foods best...not something you think of in the same context as BG!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Having said that I do miss 'biscuits brown'

Ahh the world famous "Anti personnel biscuits" the very thing that I recon Terry Pratchet based his Dwarfbread on form the Diskworld series - where various breads took the form of both armour and armour piercing weapons.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
You used to be able to buy US and UK rat packs for a mere £4.50, its shocking how much the price has rocketed...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Check your local surplus shops, the guy in Aberdare charges £7; I've still got a load left I picked up a couple of years ago for not a lot of coin. If you see a good deal its worth buying 20 or 30 in one go.

P

Pcwizme

If any one wants some buscuit browns let me know, i have about 20 packs sitting here a guy at work (hes TA) was going to dump them, and i said they were too good to waste (they make ok kinderling) so he brought in a sackfull!

so yeah if anyone wants a couple of packets they are yours just send me a pm!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
all of the following are available at most Tesco/Sainsbury's/Asda/Morrisons supermarkets:

You can get Oatmeal biscuits not quite Biscuits AB but you can do the same stuff with them, have them plain, with jam/pate on, and you can crush them, add water and they turn into a sort of porridge.

also you can get Garibaldi "squashed fly" biscuits (Biscuits Fruit filled).

also bacon grill is also available.

you can get some "very small" frey bentos steak and kidney puds.

you can get small jars and tins of pate'

you can get single servings of Baked beans.

cup-a-soup, need i say more?

also small tins of cake (not like the rations but similar).

packets of porridge are now common as are hot chocolate.

Dextrose tablets (near the medicines)

Apple flakes YES you can get them! ( in foil packets, "Fruitabu" (Kellogg's) Called "apple crisps" but it's just dried apple!

the tricky Items to copy/find are:
vegetable stock drink (though a stock cube like "knor"/"Oxo" would be similar).
Screech (orange/lemon drink powder) closest thing probably Lemsip :( (better for you though).
Oatmeal block (though it's really just a very,very sweet hobnob!)

basically for cheap rations I'd just go shopping and see what you can find!

Last edited:

jmatthews

Jul 5, 2007
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
I sometimes use Wayfarer foods, although not much now because its so much cheaper to take a bucket of rice or whatever. You can get them from lots of outdoor shops such as Blacks, I did some price comparisons a while ago and you can't get them online for much cheaper.
Where I got mine last: Typical meal £3.50 (+ postage so order in bulk)
www.foxsoutdoor.co.uk/camping/food/

Tip: Remove the outer packaging and just take the foil bags inside with you. That way you half the amount of rubbish your left carrying once you've eaten them

jmatthews

Jul 5, 2007
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
Something I recently discovered from these forums is the idea of mixing milk power with a bag of muesli or what ever cereal you want. Then, when you want food just add water and you have you cereal with milk in it! I tried it out when I went climbing in the peak district and it works perfectly ;)

James

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Something I recently discovered from these forums is the idea of mixing milk power with a bag of muesli or what ever cereal you want. Then, when you want food just add water and you have you cereal with milk in it! I tried it out when I went climbing in the peak district and it works perfectly ;)

James

if you eat the food out of the bag too, you can get away with not washing up!

you can do the same thing with custard powder and apple pie!

the other useful things I found, use fruit tea bags and you won't need milk!
also very little to wash as no sugar/milk to get rid of.

and you can get pasta/dry sauce in foil packets, simple just add boiling water, as long as you stir it well, and let it soak well it's fine, worked for me on my ML course!

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
Nicked from someone on this forum but can't remember who, Lidl do a couple of fruit teas that are basically fruit drink crystals. Not quite screech (love the stuff) but dump in a shedload of sugar and it's similar enough.
Lots of posts about the 'look what we found' puched meals. I don't find them as tasty as ratback boil in bag meals and because they have paper labels you can't necessarily use the water for a brew unless you strain it. Some Co-op supermarkets are phasing them out so you can get some real bargains with nice long dates.

I still love my ratpack meals though if anyone does find a cheap source for them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE