1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Austrian army surplus goretex jacket

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Van-Wild, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Van-Wild

Van-Wild Nomad

Hi folks.

Has anyone got one of these? I'm thinking of hitting the button on a grade 1 jacket priced at £45.......

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

2. Van-Wild

Van-Wild Nomad

3. bopdude

bopdude Full Member

4. Nomad64

Nomad64 Full Member

5. Van-Wild

Van-Wild Nomad

6. para106

para106 Full Member

Hi mate, I’ve had one for the last 3 years or so & can’t fault it. As good as any shell type Gore Tex jacket on the market imo. Bomb proof construction & totally waterproof - although I reproof every year - with a good adjustable hood. I use mine for hiking & fishing in winter. A great jacket for the money & getting harder to find. Cheers

Van-Wild likes this.
  7. Van-Wild

Van-Wild Nomad

Thanks buddy. Did you get a grade one jacket? Did you need to reproof it when you got it or was it ok?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

8. para106

para106 Full Member

Yes, Grade 1. No, I didn’t need to reproof it when it arrived. I’ve a few Gore Tex items & generally reproof them every 12 months whether I think they actually need it or not - just habit really. Mine is as effective as any I own in the £150+ bracket. Grab it at that price, you won’t be disappointed. Cheers.

Van-Wild likes this.
  9. Erbswurst

Erbswurst Native

The inner lining of the jacket and pockets is relatively weak. But it is totally OK for the price.

In my opinion the German Army Goretex jacket in Flecktarn is the better deal and the better construction, but if you like the M65 design, just take it!

Here is the main source:

Bundesheer Feldjacke leicht

http://army-warehouse.com/umhangetaschen/200-schultertasche-nylon-ptoliv.html

10. Herman30

Herman30 Nomad

11. Erbswurst

Erbswurst Native

I can't know all and everything, but in my opinion that isn't German military equipment.

German military used leather helmets since round about 1870 and tent sheets as poncho, in the beginning rectangular, than they changed to steel helmets, in WW2 came the triangular tent sheet poncho, than in DDR back to larger rectangular and to the US type tent sheet in western Germany, used as a poncho with additional hood.

The US Poncho was in western Germany spare equipment for chemical attacks, Bundeswehr used the tent sheed as poncho until they got rubber suits and later Goretex suits.

I spend a lot of time in surplus shops since decades, but I never have seen this hood!

Herman30 likes this.
  12. Erbswurst

Erbswurst Native

This is the only item that was called a "poncho" in any German military before they changed to Flecktarn in the nineties.

https://www.asmc.de/bw-regenponcho-oliv-gebraucht

Today exists a Flecktarn Goretex poncho, and there is one other in Flecktarn, but very heavy and inside rubberised on the surplus market which is very seldom.

Other things never had been called "poncho" in any German army.
    The Austrians used after WW2 a poncho nearly identic with the poncho in the link, perhaps it's totally identic.