Alternative pole to spread midge net on DD Frontline?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
After faffing around for ages trying to find 'the right kind of sticks' to spread the midge net on my Frontline, I figured that everyone surely doesn't do this every time?!

What alternatives are there to using sticks to spread the netting?
Bamboo cut to size? Tent poles?
How do you stop the hanging loops from slipping down whatever poles you use?

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
You can find fibreglass or aluminium tent pole repair kits - just cut to size. If you want to stop slippage then a couple of stitches in the outer-most tabs to create a little 'pocket' for the ends to fit into

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
I now use a couple of bamboo canes trimmed to slightly longer than the span of the loops in the mosi net. I'v not had a slippage issue yet.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
Bamboo's another good option. I've previously found the 'ideal' sticks and just carried them each time. The advantage of the poles I mentioned earlier is the ability to have them joined in the middle so you split then for stowage. That might be useful for you, it might not but there are plenty of options out there

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I use 2 white plastic hollow "kids tent" tent poles/tubes. They're very light, plenty strong enough.... plastic garden canes would do as well. If you keep the spigots they make a good locking mechanism.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
If you wanted to keep the poles compact, sawing a pole off an old tent whilst keeping the spigot in the middle would allow you to break them down!

I may be able to help if your stuck for poles.

atb, al.

Darkside

Forager
Nov 2, 2009
Aldershot, UK
One thing I did was not poke the stick through the webbing loops - instead I tied the elastic to the two outside loops and then cut a notch in each end of a stick that was about 6 inches longer than the distance from loop to loop and wedged it between the two sides of elastic. To hold it up I used an S-biner hooked up to prussics on my tarp ridgline. Works great and you don't have to worry about finding a skinny/ long/ straight enough stick to poke through the loops.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE